The buttermilk and seasoned crouton coating give this chicken parmesan recipe a real edge over other baked breaded chicken I’ve tried. The crumb coating is crunchy and sticks really well and the buttermilk adds a lot more flavor than egg whites or skim milk. You do have to let the chicken soak in the buttermilk for 6+ hours, but if you just drop it in a Ziploc with the buttermilk in the morning, it’ll be ready to cook when you get home from work. I thought this recipe was very tasty and it presents well (which I always appreciate). It serves two but you could easily double it if you need to serve more.
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- Olive Oil Spray (from a spray bottle like a Misto, not a store bought pre-filled one that contains propellant)
- 1 oz Fat Free Italian or Caesar seasoned croutons
- ¼ cup low fat marinara sauce
- ½ oz finely shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in a medium Ziploc bag. Pour the buttermilk over the top and seal it shut. Put them in the refrigerator and let them soak for at least 6 hours, or overnight, turning the bag over 1-2 times.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450. Lightly mist a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Add the croutons to another Ziploc bag and pound them with the rolling pin, meat mallet or other flat, blunt object until crushed into very fine crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a medium shallow bowl or plate.
- Remove a chicken breast from the bag and let any excess buttermilk drip off. Dip it into the crumbs, rotating it to cover the breast completely. Place the breaded breast on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining breast. If crumbs remain in the bowl, press them into the tops of the breasts. Lightly spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil spray. Bake them 5 minutes and then carefully, being sure not to remove coating, flip them. Lightly mist the tops with spray and continue to bake for another 2 minutes and then top each breast with half the sauce, half the mozzarella and half the parmesan. Continue to bake 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the coating is crisp and the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve immediately.
MyWW SmartPoints per serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 8 SmartPoints/ Blue: 5 SmartPoints/ Purple: 5 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Source: “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Fattening” by Devin Alexander