Falafel Sandwiches with Yogurt Sauce
These sandwiches are the perfect light, fresh-tasting vegetarian summer meal. The falafel are delicious and taste just as good as any falafel I’ve had from a restaurant (or maybe better because these are less oily than some). The yogurt sauce was light and not overpowering, a perfect complement, and I definitely recommend finishing your sandwich off with cucumber, tomatoes and arugula. Great combination. I listed the points+ values for the separate components of this recipe to accommodate different preferences (you may want to use more/less sauce, or you may want to serve the falafel outside a sandwich, etc). I was excited that these were so easy to make and they turned out fantastic. Take my advice and try them!
Falafel Sandwich with Yogurt Sauce
Yield: 6 sandwiches
- 15 oz can chickpeas (also labeled garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons Tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (this was about 2 lemons worth for me)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 light whole wheat pita pockets (Weight Watchers brand recommended – only 3 P+)
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, tahini, egg, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, lemon juice, coriander, chili powder and salt and pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth (still a little chunky). Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the flour, onion, parsley and baking powder. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Divide the mixture to 6 equal balls and then flatten each ball into a patty. The mixture will be sticky. Working in batches if necessary, add olive oil to a large skillet (reserve some for each batch) and bring to medium-high heat. Add patties and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Line a plate with paper towels and transfer finished patties onto the plate.
- To make the yogurt sauce, simply combine the yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice and cumin in a bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- To build your sandwiches, slice each pita pocket in half and line the bottom of each opening with arugula. Slice the falafel patties in half as well and place half a patty in each pita opening. Spoon your desired amount of yogurt sauce into the pitas. Finish by stuffing the pitas with a few cucumber slices and chopped tomatoes.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per sandwich or 3 for just the falafel patty (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per sandwich or 5 for just the falafel patty (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
adapted from Vegetarian Times