I love chicken and mushrooms, so Chicken Marsala has long been a dish I’ve ordered at Italian restaurants and always enjoyed. I’d never tried making it at home, so when I came across this recipe I was excited to see it looked quick to make and easy to lighten up. This is a great weeknight meal because it takes around 30 minutes to make from start to finish and it’s really tasty. I didn’t put a lot of sauce on the plate in my photo because I didn’t want it to be hard to see the chicken in the picture, but in reality there is plenty of sauce to accompany the chicken and mushrooms. The chicken cooks perfectly lightly coated in flour with just enough oil to cook it to golden brown without it tasting greasy. I served this with wild rice and green beans, but mashed potatoes, pasta, and asparagus are also wonderful complements to the Marsala wine sauce. I’m a sucker for meals that look like they took a lot of effort but were quick and easy, and this is one of those meals!
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 (4 oz each) thin boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (1 lb total)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- ¼ cup fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fat free half and half
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of the chicken breasts. Drop the breasts into a large Ziploc bag and add the flour. Seal the bag and shake until the breasts are thoroughly coated.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottoms are golden. Pour the other tablespoon of oil into the pan and flip the chicken breasts over. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the underside is golden and the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a separate plate and cover in foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the butter to the pan. Melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through. Add wine, broth and half and half and cook for 5 more minutes to let the sauce reduce some. Pour sauce and mushrooms over chicken and serve.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving was 7 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
285 calories, 12 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Savory Sweet Life