Southwest Steak Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
Spicy steak, creamy dressing, sweet corn, tart lime, crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, hearty black beans, crunchy tortilla strips - this salad has it all!
For the Dressing:
- ½ of a ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice, (I sometimes use more than this because I love lime, feel free to increase to taste)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 lb raw lean, trimmed flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 5 teaspoons southwest seasoning, I use McCormick
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- ½ cup chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 of a lime
- 12 cups lettuce, torn (I used green leaf lettuce)
- 8 tablespoons tortilla strips
In a blender (or a cup if using an immersion blender), combine the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
Place the steak strips into a gallon zip-top bag and add the southwest seasoning. Seal the bag and shake/turn until the steak is coated with the seasoning.
Bring one tablespoon of oil to medium heat in a large skillet. Add the seasoned steak strips and stir to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring and flipping occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the steak is cooked to taste. Remove the steak to a side plate.
Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet and keep over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the corn and black beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and stir. Cook for another minute and then remove from heat. Squeeze the fresh lime wedge over the contents of the skillet.
*To build each salad, place 3 cups of lettuce into a bowl and top with ¼ of the steak (for me this was 3.75 oz cooked), 1/3 cup of the corn and bean mixture and two tablespoons of tortilla strips. Toss in ¼ of the dressing (about ¼ cup) and serve.
*Build each salad to serve! If you’re only serving one or two salads, dress the ones you’re serving and store the leftover components separately and the remaining dressing in an airtight container in the fridge.
To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
367 calories, 20 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 18 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 30 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
MyWW SmartPoints per serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 8 SmartPoints/ Blue: 7 SmartPoints/ Purple: 7 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)