Spicy Beef Taquitos
These Spicy Beef Taquitos are the perfect handheld snack for a football viewing party, Taco Tuesday dinner with the family, or food for any fiesta or casual day at home, really. They are super easy to put together, totally crave-worthy and packed with spicy, beefy, cheesy goodness. I really recommend taking a minute to mix your own taco seasoning. It’s spicier and so, so flavorful. The tortillas in this recipe get nice and crunchy and it’s easy to see why taquitos are such a popular freezer food option. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
I love spice, but if you’re looking to dial back the heat you can use mild salsa, swap the Pepper Jack for Cheddar and halve the red pepper flakes in the seasoning. It’s also easy to double or halve the recipe, so if you’re hosting a huge bash for the big game or eating them for a solo meal, you should be able to adapt this one to meet your needs. Serve with salsa, guacamole or sour cream for dipping!
Spicy Beef Taquitos
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- ½ cup salsa, I used medium heat, but feel free to adjust to your preferences
- 3 oz 50% reduced fat Pepper Jack cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas, I used Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and then lightly mist it with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a dish and stir together to make your own taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Bring a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef. Cook while breaking up with a wooden spoon until beef is completely browned and broken into small pieces. Drain any grease from the pan. Add the taco seasoning from step 2 and the salsa and stir together until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place about half the tortillas between two paper towels and microwave them for 30-60 seconds until they are warm and pliable. Place a tortilla on a clean, dry work surface and then scoop two rounded tablespoons of beef filling onto the bottom third of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up from the bottom to surround the filling and once it’s rolled into a tube, place it on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat steps with the remaining ingredients (including microwaving the other half of the tortillas when you get to them). When all the taquitos are rolled and on the baking sheet, mist the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until tortillas start to get golden and crispy.
2 PP per taquito, two taquitos are 5 PP (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com) Emily Bites Original, taco seasoning mix is from allrecipes