Italian Farro Bake
Wow. If you’re reading this, you need to make this dish. Even if you’re not reading this, you still need to make this dish. It is that good. I absolutely loved these flavors together. The tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese made it taste rich but the lemon zest and herbs gave it a bright, fresh flavor as well. The perfect comfort food for Spring! I had never cooked with farro before, but it’s a very healthy grain with a texture reminiscent of barley and it’s a great source of both fiber and protein. This is a great vegetarian main dish, but it could also be a delicious, cheesy side dish. Either way, you won’t be disappointed!
Italian Farro Bake
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups pearled farro
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cup vegetable broth (I did not have as much vegetable broth as I thought so I used 1 ½ c vegetable broth and 1 cup water and it was totally delicious)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 ½ oz (about 1-1/4 cups) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 and make sure you have a rack in the top 1/3 of the oven. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine olive oil, onion, salt and garlic in a large saucepot and bring to medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally, cook until onions start to turn translucent. Add farro and stir until onions and farro are mixed thoroughly. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, broth and basil and stir. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Cut a few slits in the foil. Put the dish in top third of the oven and bake for 45 minutes, removing the foil for the last five to let the top darken. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese and oregano.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/6th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 6 SmartPoints/ Blue: 6 SmartPoints/ Purple: 2 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
265 calories, 42 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 6 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from 101 Cookbooks