Mexi Meatloaf Muffins
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the acronym for these babies is MMM, because that’s all you’re going to be saying once you get a taste! These hearty little Mexi Meatloaf Muffins are absolutely packed with spicy Mexican flavor, which is perfectly balanced with a cool, creamy guacamole topping. Y’all know I love making all kinds of main courses in my muffin tins, but I think meatloaf works particularly well this way. It’s great for portion control (I usually eat two as a main dish), kids and adults both love it, and it cooks up faster than a traditional loaf, making it an easy, tasty weeknight meal. Plus it’s easy to grab the leftovers for lunch the next day.
I’m happy to announce that I’ve partnered with Sabra (one of my favorite brands and maker of the all-time best hummus, Roasted Pine Nut…yum) to develop recipes as part of their 2014 Tastemakers Panel*! While I’ve been a huge fan of their hummus for years, I hadn’t realized that they also make veggie dips, salsa, guacamole and other tasty spreads and salads like bruschetta topping (my fiance’s absolute favorite). Sabra sent me a selection of products to try and I was immediately drawn in by the super fresh taste and chunky styles of both their salsas and guacamole. I developed this recipe around those two ingredients and I really couldn’t be happier with the results!
Fresh & Chunky: Sabra Homestyle Salsa – Medium
Wondering which stores in your area carry the Sabra products I used? Try this store locator on their web site – just type in your zip code and it’ll show you which product categories are carried in the stores near you.
*I have partnered with Sabra as part of their 2014 Tastemakers Panel. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with their product, however my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
Mexi Meatloaf Muffins
Yield: 12 meatloaf muffins
- 1 teaspoon chili oil ( I find mine in the Asian ingredient aisle near the sesame oil)
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ cup chunky salsa (I used Sabra Medium Homestyle Salsa)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 ½ lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- 8 tablespoons guacamole (I used Sabra Classic Guacamole)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 12 cup muffin tin (affiliate link) with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small skillet, bring the chili oil to medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook for about 4-5 minutes until vegetables are softened. Remove from heat.
- Combine the salt, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, paprika, cumin and chili powder in a large mixing bowl and stir together. Add the softened veggies from step 2, salsa, eggs and bread crumbs and stir together until well mixed. Add the ground beef and work together until combined (I use my hands for this step).
- Divide the meat mixture evenly amongst the 12 cups in the prepared muffin tin. Drizzle a ½ teaspoon of taco sauce over the top of each muffin. Bake for about 25 minutes until cooked through. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Top each meatloaf muffin with 2 teaspoons of guacamole and serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 meatloaf muffin) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 3 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per muffin, 7 for 2 muffins (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
138 calories, 7 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 14 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original