Doritos Taco Salad
Last weekend I went to a Memorial Day cookout with future Mr. Bites’ extended family. One of the side dishes brought to the party was Doritos Taco Salad. That’s right, Doritos Taco Salad. I swooned. I had seconds. I wanted to eat the whole massive serving bowl full. You know how people go nuts over the Doritos taco at Taco Bell? That’s how I felt about this salad.
When I got home I immediately googled it and a bunch of recipes came up that looked similar to the salad I was still dreaming about. I couldn’t wait to lighten it up with my own spin and share it with you all. I love the taco seasoned meat flavor with nacho cheese crunch of Doritos and the sweet, tangy, tomato-ey Catalina dressing. The original salad I tasted used French dressing, so you could certainly use that instead. Feel free to get creative and experiment by adding in additional ingredients if you like – beans, corn, black olives (will affect nutrition info). I kept it simple and it came out amazing, but there are tons of ways to customize it to your own tastes. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
When I measured my finished product it was a little over 14 cups total, so if you’re bringing it as a side dish to a potluck or cookout, it’ll probably serve around 14 people. If you’re serving it at home as a main dish I’d consider 2 cups to be a serving, so in that case it would serve 7 people. Make sure not to add in the Doritos and salad dressing until you’re ready to serve so that the whole dish doesn’t get soggy.
Another pro-tip: if you’re worried you will be unable to stop eating them if you open a large bag of Doritos (like I was), they sell 6-packs of 1 oz bags. Use four for the recipe and then you’ll just have two individual, pre-portioned servings to eat later!
This dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser whether out at a party or at home on your dinner table. Doritos and tacos together in a waistline friendly salad – who wouldn’t want that?
Doritos Taco Salad
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 (1.25 oz) packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 medium-large head of iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces (if you’ve never chopped up a head of iceberg before you can follow these directions)
- 1 medium-large tomato, diced
- 4 oz 50% less fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (such as Cabot)
- 4 oz nacho cheese Doritos, broken up a bit into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup light Catalina or French dressing, I used Kraft Lite Catalina
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the packet of taco seasoning and stir until well coated. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and ground beef. When ready to serve, add the Doritos and dressing and toss to coat.
4 per (1 cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com) Adapted from Women Living Well