Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
YUM. So, I know a lot of you have made my Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole (if you haven’t yet, do it – it’s one of my most popular recipes!). I’m not sure why it took me so long to make a pizza version, but it was definitely worth the wait. This Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is so good. It comes out of the oven hot, saucy and cheesy, with a spicy kick from the sauce and pepperoni and puffy mounds of baked biscuits bubbling up throughout. I added mushrooms (another favorite pizza topping) to make it heartier and black olives to give it a little twist. The result is all my favorite pizza flavors baked together in a hearty, crowd-pleasing casserole that comes together quickly for a perfect weeknight meal. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Not only is this casserole fast, filling and delicious, but it’s also highly customizable. Feel free to mix in any of your favorite pizza toppings: onions, peppers, pineapple – you can’t go wrong! How do you eat your pizza casserole?
*2015 Update* I tried making this with pineapple (replacing the mushrooms and olives) and it was incredible. Try it!
Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
- 1 lb uncooked hot Italian poultry sausage, casings removed if present (can be turkey or chicken sausage)
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 oz turkey pepperoni slices, cut into quarters
- 1.5 oz sliced black olives
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, but Pillsbury also makes them – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook sausage, breaking up with a spoon or spatula for a couple minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook both for an additional 6-8 minutes until the sausage is cooked through in pieces and the mushrooms are softened.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, pizza sauce, pepperoni, olives, seasoning, pepper flakes and biscuit dough pieces until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella over the top. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
8 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)