How fun are these Caprese Tarts? This probably makes me sound like a dork, but I always think it’s super fun to work with puff pastry. It looks all thin and flat and then you stick it in the oven and POOF, it’s all puffy and flaky and delicious. I’ve made some dessert tarts before using puff pastry (peach basil and apple cinnamon, if you’re interested), but I hadn’t posted a savory puff tart yet, and it seemed about time. Since I love caprese flavors, I was really excited to make these and they really turned out delicious. Flaky pastry topped with a little garlic, melted cheese, fresh basil and juicy tomatoes…how could it not be fantastic, right?
These versatile Caprese Tarts would be perfect to pass around at a party, savor for a midafternoon snack, or eat as part of a tasty lunch. At only 105 calories or 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints each on myWW Green, Blue and Purple, you may want to keep these ingredients on hand – you’ll want to make them all the time! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted per package instructions (such as Pepperidge Farms)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (if you love garlic, you may want to use two)
- ¾ cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, or more if desired
- 1.5 oz sliced or diced tomatoes, I used sliced grape tomatoes
- On a clean, dry surface sprinkle a small amount of flour to prevent sticking and lay down your sheet of defrosted puff pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll the pastry into a 10”x14” rectangle of even thickness. Place in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a small skillet, bring the olive oil to medium heat. Add the garlic and allow garlic to cook for about a minute. Remove the garlic and oil to a small side dish to cool.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the rolled pastry onto a cutting board and using a knife (or a pizza cutter works wonderfully for this!), cut the dough into 12 equal pieces (3 sections lengthwise and 4 widthwise). Place the pastry sections a little bit apart on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the garlic and oil across the center of each pastry piece. Top the oil with a tablespoon of Mozzarella per piece, then add the sliced basil and tomato. Make sure you leave an edge around the toppings on each piece.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to ensure the pastry is still a bit chilled. Transfer the sheet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until pastry is golden and cheese is melted.
3 per tart (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)