Chicken and Chorizo Salsa Skillet
I love Wegmans. For those of you who unfortunately don’t have a location near you, Wegmans is an awesome grocery store chain that was started about an hour away from me in the Rochester, NY area. Not only does it offer wonderful clean stores, great staff, a terrific selection of products, quality store brand items and a delicious prepared food section, but it also has a great selection of recipes online. This Chicken and Chorizo Salsa Skillet recipe was one I discovered on the Wegmans web site (with a few tweaks of my own), and I’m so excited to share it with you because it’s absolutely delicious.
This Chicken and Chorizo Salsa Skillet is a one-pot meal (yay for less dishes!) that you could easily make for a crave-worthy weeknight dinner. It’s so incredibly flavorful and hearty, I am positive that once you try this it’s going to be added to your regular meal rotation. If you are hesitant about the olives in any way, trust me – use them! They’re a nice briny surprise every time you get one. I found this very filling and the moment I tasted it I knew (a) my husband would love this and (b) we’d be making this often. I think you’ll feel the same way!
Chicken and Chorizo Salsa Skillet
Yield: 6 (1 generous cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz (2 links) fully cooked Chorizo chicken sausage, sliced on a bias (the kind that comes pre-cooked, such as al fresco)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 oz uncooked whole grain wild rice blend (I used Wegmans Whole Grain 5 Rice Blend)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 16 oz roasted tomato salsa, or your favorite type (Wegmans, Frontera, Wholly Salsa, etc all have Roasted Tomato salsas)
- 12 oz cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded (I used grilled, but any kind would work)
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives with pimientos (I also used a few Kalamata olives because I needed to use them up!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. In a large, oven-safe skillet, saute pan or Dutch oven, bring a teaspoon of the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the sliced sausage and stir to coat with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until sausage has browned a bit on both sides. Remove sausage to a side plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan and add the diced onion. Stir to coat and spread to cook for 3-4 minutes until onions begin to get tender. Add the minced garlic and the uncooked rice to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is toasted. Carefully add the water, salsa and reserved sausage to the pan and stir together thoroughly. Cover the pan with a lid and bring to a bubbly simmer over high heat.
- Place the covered pan into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove pan and sprinkle the chicken and olives over the top of the skillet mixture. Re-cover and place the pan back into the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and allow it to sit covered for 10 additional minutes. Stir chicken and olives into the mixture until well combined and then serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 generous cup) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 9 SmartPoints/ Blue: 7 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per (1 generous cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
343 calories, 37 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 26 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Lightly adapted from Wegmans