This delicious main dish is so low in WW P+ and calories that you won’t feel the least bit guilty pairing it with a healthy side of pasta or a tasty dessert! Unlike in restaurants where eggplant parmesan is generally covered in bread crumbs and fried in oil, this one is coated in a blend of whole wheat panko crumbs, seasonings and freshly grated Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven until the inside is juicy and the outside is perfectly crisp. This is a great way to satisfy a craving for saucy, cheesy Italian flavors without expanding your waistline!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 medium eggplant (mine was on the larger side of medium – not gigantic but definitely not small either)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I grated mine on the smallest holed side of my box grater)
- ¾ cup whole wheat panko crumbs ( I used Ian’s brand – you can substitute regular panko crumbs without changing the P+ per serving, though wheat panko crumbs have less points and calories on their own)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil flakes
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup tomato basil pasta sauce
- ¾ cup shredded reduced fat 2% mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist 2 baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice eggplant horizontally into ¼” thin rounds. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until the slightest bit bubbly. In a separate bowl or Ziploc bag, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil and oregano and stir or shake to thoroughly mix. Transfer mixture to a shallow dish. Dip each eggplant round with egg whites, allowing excess to drip off, and then place flat onto crumb mixture, pressing down a few times with your fingers. Flip eggplant and do the same on the other side to coat, then transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces. When all eggplant pieces are on the sheets, lightly mist the tops with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (until bottoms start to turn golden brown), remove from oven and flip pieces and then continue baking for another 12-15 minutes. Remove eggplant from oven and spoon some of the pasta sauce onto the center of each round, then top each with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake another 5 minute until cheese is melted.
WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS:
5 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:
4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
149 calories, 17 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original