Pumpkin and Cream Bread
I adapted this Pumpkin and Cream Bread from a recipe I found on Pinterest about a month ago and I’ve been waiting excitedly to try it ever since. Pumpkin bread with a cream cheese swirl layer? Sign me up. The bread is moist (it’s probably more like cake than bread) and has a very similar flavor to pumpkin pie filling. It would be a great side dish or dessert at Thanksgiving dinner or just a tasty part of a Fall breakfast! I plan to eat it for breakfast alongside some fruit and protein.
If you’re reading this and thinking “what is this Pinterest she speaks of?” then you are missing out! Pinterest is a virtual pin board where you can catalog all your favorite things on the web. You can categorize your “pins” onto as many different boards as you like and you can also follow other people’s boards to see what they’re pinning. It’s a fabulous way to find ideas for whatever you’re into: recipes, fashion, weddings, quotes, photography and more! Pinterest is still in the invite only stage so if you’re not on there and you need an invite feel free to leave me a comment with your email address (or shoot it to me in an email at email@example.com) and I’ll send you an invite. Caution: it’s addicting!
Pumpkin & Cream Bread
Yield: 12 servings
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients:
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mist a 9×5” loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bread layer: In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, applesauce, egg and one egg white. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir together until thoroughly mixed. Using an electric mixer, beat the wet ingredients in the first bowl together until smooth and fully combined. Continue to beat while adding the dry ingredients a bit at a time until thoroughly combined. Set bowl aside and rinse beaters.
- Cream Layer: In another large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg white, flour and vanilla extract. Using your electric mixer again, beat together these ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Pour or spoon about half of the pumpkin bread mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread across the bottom of the pan. Pout the cream mixture over the top of the pumpkin mixture and spread in a layer to cover. On top of that, spread the remainder of the pumpkin bread mixture to cover the cream layer.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (I did a little less because I have a fast oven) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Be sure not to overcook or the edges will be dry. Cool and remove from pan. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/12th of the recipe) serving:(SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 5 SmartPoints/ Blue: 4 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
107 calories, 18 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Sunday Baker