Hawaiian BBQ Cupcakes
They’re bAAAaaaaack! This is the first wonton cupcake recipe I’ve made since the French Dip “Cupcakes” in January. Can you believe I let that much time go by? Silly me. I’ve wanted to make a barbecue chicken “cupcake” for a while now, and when I sat down to plan it out I couldn’t stop thinking about contrasting sweet and spicy flavors. I really recommend choosing a barbecue sauce with a hot & spicy kick to it. Trust me, the juicy bites of warm, sweet pineapple smothered in a spicy, smoky barbecue sauce is a combination perfectly engineered to excite your taste buds and make you swoon. Summer is the season for barbecue and if you don’t feel like firing up the grill, these are a great way to get your BBQ fix!
*For more information or to convert this recipe to mini-muffin sized appetizers, visit the Wonton “Cupcakes” section of my FAQs page!*
Hawaiian BBQ "Cupcakes"
Yield: 8 cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped up small or shredded
- ½ cup chopped fresh pineapple (if you can’t find fresh you can use canned. Just drain it and don’t buy anything in syrup)
- 4 tablespoons spicy barbecue sauce (I recommend using a spicy sauce to give these a little kick and provide contrast for the sweet pineapple. I found one with only 6 carbs per 2 T)
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 16 wonton wrappers (typically found in the produce section)
- 4 oz (1 cup) reduced fat 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, pineapple, scallions and barbecue sauce. Stir to combine until fully coated.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 wonton cup) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 4 SmartPoints/ Blue: 4 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per cupcake (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
139 calories, 11 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original