Sometimes simple is best, and as far as recipes go, three ingredients is pretty simple. Especially when one is salt! The key here is in the technique. Soaking the cut potatoes before baking them helps give these oven fries a perfect texture: soft and potato-y on the inside and crisp and golden on the outside. I was excited that I could eat a good-sized side of these fries for just 5 Green, 5 Blue or 2 Purple myWW Weight Watchers SmartPoints – they’re perfect for when you have a craving! These would be a great side for Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps, Pretzel Chicken Nuggets, Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers, Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes, Buffalo Chicken Wraps or Slow Cooked BBQ Beef. I think these fries are great lightly salted, but if you want to get a little crazy and jazz them up you could always add additional seasonings. Next time you’re craving French fries, don’t drive thru – drive home! There are delicious oven fries waiting to be made right in your oven.
Yield: 4 servings
- 22 oz (about 3 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-½” sticks
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 475. Mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the potato sticks in a large mixing bowl and fill the bowl with hot water. Let the potatoes soak for 10-30 minutes. Drain the water and spread the potato sticks out in a single layer on a kitchen towel or layered paper towels. Using another towel, pat the potatoes dry. Transfer the potato sticks to a large Ziploc bag and drizzle with the oil. Seal the bag and shake/massage the potatoes until well coated. Open the bag and add the salt. Seal and shake again until salt is well distributed.
- Spread the salted potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 5 minutes and remove the foil covering. Return the potatoes to the oven and continue to bake for 15-25 minutes or until the bottoms are golden. Remove the tray from the oven and flip the potatoes over using a spatula. Place the potatoes back in the oven (rotate the pan as well so that your potatoes will cook evenly) and cook for another 5-15 minutes until golden. Season with additional salt to taste if desired. Serve warm.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/4th of the recipe) serving:(SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 5 SmartPoints/ Blue: 5 SmartPoints/ Purple: 2 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
170 calories, 28 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)