Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups
These savory, flavorful Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups combine all your favorite breakfast dishes in one! You’ll never believe they’re only 4 Green, 3 Blue or 1 Purple myWW Weight Watchers SmartPoints each. Who needs a greasy sausage, egg & cheese sandwich from a fast food joint when you could grab one or two of these tasty cups instead? They’re more filling and for way less calories. I used Wegmans brand chicken breakfast sausage which is delicious and flavored with sage. If you don’t have a Wegmans nearby (I’m sorry, it’s amazing) you can use chicken or turkey breakfast sausage from any other brand (may change the nutrition information).
I love to make these at the beginning of the week so that we can grab them in the morning before work and breakfast is served. They come together really easily and they taste amazing.
*2015 update: I updated the photos a bit because the old ones were blurry and awful, but I also tweaked the cooking times a bit to make for crispier cups that should slide right out of the tin. If you’ve made this before, double check to be sure you’re using the updated instructions!
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups
Yield: 12 breakfast cups
- 20 oz refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes or Reser’s (use defrosted zero point hash browns if following the myWW Purple plan)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt (plus a little more to taste for the eggs)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breakfast sausage links (I used Wegmans Fully Cooked Breakfast with Sage Chicken Sausage)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Scoop the hash browns evenly into each of the muffin tins and then press the hash browns down into the cups and up the sides to form a well. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Cut the sausages up into small bite sized pieces. Mist a skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage pieces over medium heat until browned.
- In another large bowl, combine the eggs and egg whites and whisk together until thoroughly beaten. Add a bit of salt & pepper to taste.
- Evenly sprinkle the browned sausage pieces and shredded cheese into each hash brown cup and then spoon the egg mixture over top of each cup. Place the cups back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are set and cups are golden.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 piece) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 4 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 1 SmartPoints (if using zero point hash browns, if not then use the Blue points)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per cup (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
123 calories, 10 g carbs, 0 g sugars, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original