Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken
This Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken is so easy and SO good. I love when so many of my favorite flavors come together into one dish, and juicy chicken slathered in savory barbecue sauce and topped with melty sharp cheddar and crispy bacon certainly qualifies. We eat a ton of barbecue chicken in the Summer, but since our grill has been covered in snow for a while, this was a great way to get to eat one of my favorite foods.
Just a note: the nutrition facts for barbecue sauces can vary dramatically, so the barbecue sauce you use can affect the calories or Weight Watchers points for this recipe. I used Stubb’s Original which only has 6 grams of carbs and 4 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoon serving. Plus, it’s delicious. If you want the nutrition information to stay about the same I recommend looking for a sauce that is similarly low in carbs – it can make a big difference!
One more tip, I put the veggies pictured in to roast at 400 at the same time the chicken went in, which is a great way to get a complete meal finished all at once. Just spread the veggies out on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and other seasonings (I always end up using a mish mosh of things) and put in the oven at 400 for 35 minutes or so until finished. Perfect for a fast and easy weeknight meal!
this post contains affiliate links
Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 4 (5 oz) raw boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (look for one with lower carbs/sugar – I used Stubb’s Original)
- 2 oz reduced fat cheddar, shredded (I used Cabot 50% sharp cheddar cheese)
- Cook bacon to crisp according to package instructions (I bake mine at 400 for 15-16 minutes on a baking sheet, which leaves the oven pre-heated for the next step!). Crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Use a pastry brush to brush the outsides of both sides of the chicken breasts with the olive oil and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each breast over. Split the barbecue sauce equally into two small dishes. Using the pastry brush again (wash it in between!), paint the chicken breasts using half of one dish of the barbecue sauce. Flip the breasts back over and paint the top side with the remaining barbecue sauce from that dish. Place back in the oven for another 5 minutes. Wash the brush thoroughly again before step three.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and lift the parchment paper holding the breasts off of the sheet and set aside. Re-line the sheet with aluminum foil or more parchment and transfer the chicken breasts back onto the freshly lined pan. Discard the parchment paper holding any remaining oil/liquid. You may want to check now to make sure the chicken is cooked through (or almost). Use the remaining dish of barbecue sauce to slather the tops of each chicken breast one last time. Sprinkle the cheese over top of each breast and follow with the bacon pieces. Place back into the oven and bake for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
MyWW SmartPoints per serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 4 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
271 calories, 6 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 39 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original