Chicken Pesto Flatbreads
Man, do I ever love pesto. Part of me wouldn’t be opposed to just eating with a spoon, but it definitely tastes better with accompaniments and my favorite way to eat it is probably on pizza, like these Chicken Pesto Flatbreads. Since I prefer my pizza crust thin and crispy, flatbread pizza is music to my taste buds (mixed metaphors, anyone?), and it’s also a great way to cut calories while maintaining great flavor and texture. Don’t forget to check out my Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken post- the perfect way to make shredded chicken for this recipe!
Those of you who have followed me for a while probably already know I have loved Flatout* flatbreads for quite a while. I’ve used them to make Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps, Turkey Cranberry Quesadillas, and Grilled Chicken Pesto Wraps, to name a few. Plus, my husband and I always have them on hand because Flatout pizzas are one of our favorite quick and easy dinners for nights when I don’t feel like making a big meal. So when Flatout noticed my adoration and asked me to develop some recipes for them, I jumped at the chance. There’s just so many ways they can be used! One of my first ideas was to make a pesto flatbread pizza, and I’m really glad that’s the route I decided to take. The flatbread bakes up nice and crispy, the pesto is herb-y and flavorful, and the two are topped with hearty chicken, Mozzarella cheese and juicy tomatoes. What’s not to love?
*I have partnered with Flatout to create this recipe. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with their product, however my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
In addition to this recipe, I also did a guest post over at FlatoutFresh, for a Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Melt on their Hungry Girl Foldit flatbread. Make sure you check it out!
Now for the giveaway(s) – there’s actually two! Flatout is holding a contest where you can win a Fitbit Charge wristband just by going to their site and telling them what you #FlatoutLove. For example, “I #FlatoutLove Chicken Pesto Flatbreads” or “I #FlatoutLove cooking delicious healthy recipes.” If you haven’t tried Flatouts before and want to check them out, they’re actually being demo’d this weekend (January 9th-11th) at Walmart stores nationwide, so feel free to pop in and try their “Perfect Turkey Wrap.”
I will also be picking SIX WINNERS right here to each win 10 bags of Flatout Flatbreads! To enter, just leave a comment on this post with your favorite way to eat Flatouts. That’s it! Winners will be chosen on Monday, January 12th by random.org and must reside in the United States or Canada (for food shipping purposes).
Chicken Pesto Flatbreads
Yield: 4 flatbread
- ¾ cup packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Flatout Light Original flatbreads
- 1 cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese (4 oz weighed)
- 4 oz cooked shredded or diced chicken breast
- 1 plum tomato, sliced thin or diced
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, oil, water, lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until ingredients form a paste.
- Place the flatbreads directly onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 3 ½ minutes until they stand firm when lifted. Spread the pesto evenly in a thin layer across the flatbreads, leaving a bit of space around the edges for a crust. Each flatbread will get about 1 ½ tablespoons of pesto. Sprinkle the cheese over the pesto and then the chicken over the cheese. Add the tomatoes over the top and return the flatbreads to the oven, directly on the rack (make sure no ingredients are hanging over the edge). Bake for another 4-5 minutes until the flatbread is browned and cheese is melted. Slice with a pizza cutter and serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 flatbread) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 6 SmartPoints/ Purple: 6 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per flatbread (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
282 calories, 19 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 15 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 10 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original