Turkey Cranberry Quesadilla
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite meals and I look forward to it all year round. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and my favorite: gravy. I swoon just thinking about it. Every year I get requests to make a recipe using thanksgiving leftovers and until now I hadn’t because while many families make similar thanksgiving dishes, they generally do not have similar nutrition information. Since I provide nutrition info and Weight Watchers points for all of my recipes I’ve always struggled with this idea, because if I tell people to use their leftover stuffing or mashed potatoes, the calorie range could really be anything depending on how they were prepared.
This year when I started thinking about a leftover recipe I realized that there are a few Thanksgiving leftovers that have pretty common nutrition stats: turkey breast meat and cranberry sauce. Aha! I decided to do a twist on the traditional turkey/cranberry/cream cheese sandwich and make it into this Turkey Cranberry Quesadilla for fun. With less bread in the mix, the main ingredients really shine. I also added a drizzle of balsamic glaze to add a little tangy zip. Note that in the photos I drizzled on the outside (and accidentally drizzled a bit too much – oops), but I definitely suggest drizzling on the inside when you do it – it’s less messy to eat that way! I also meant to add a layer of fresh baby spinach leaves but somehow those didn’t make it into my shopping cart, so I marked them as optional – feel free to add them in! Besides adding flavor and nutrients, I think it’d add another pretty color to the mix. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Though my favorite way to eat Thanksgiving leftovers will always be to mix them all together in a bowl and microwave it for a steamy, warm bowl of my favorite comfort foods, this is something I will definitely make again. It’s a fun way to eat the leftovers and would make a great lunch on black Friday or late night option once your Thanksgiving main meal coma has worn off a little. How do you eat your leftovers?
Turkey Cranberry Quesadilla
- 1 light original flatout , or other high fiber/low point wrap or tortilla
- 1 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- A pinch of dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce, homemade or canned
- 2 oz cooked turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze, I used Wegmans brand, though other brands do sell it – you can also make your own, it's really easy!
- Optional, not pictured or included in nutrition information: fresh baby spinach leaves
- Lay the flatout or wrap on a clean, flat surface. Spread the cream cheese over one half of the wrap. Sprinkle a pinch of thyme over the cream cheese and then spread the cranberry sauce over the top. Place the turkey in a layer over the cranberry sauce and add optional spinach leaves if desired (I meant to add these but forgot to buy them – oops!). Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the turkey (I drizzled mine on the outside at the end for the sake of looking fancy in the photos, but I recommend drizzling it inside – less messy to eat!). Fold the bare half of the wrap over the filling.
- Mist a skillet with cooking spray and bring over medium heat. Place the filled quesadilla on the skillet and mist the top with cooking spray as well. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until the outside is golden and the contents are heated.
7 per quesadilla (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)