Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche
If you’re searching for an easy way to make your breakfast or brunch feel extra special without a lot of work, this Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche will do the trick (a great idea if you’re already looking ahead to Mother’s Day)! With a thick hash brown crust filled with eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, ham and scallions, this quiche tastes amazing, makes for a filling breakfast and weighs in at just 183 calories or 6 Green, 5 Blue or 3 Purple Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving. I suggest serving it with some fresh seasonal fruit for a meal that comes together easily and is sure to please the whole household.
Another great thing about this quiche is that is easily customizable to suit your tastes. I love the ham and cheddar, but it’s easy to keep the hash brown crust and egg mix and change up the cheese (Pepper Jack, Feta, Swiss), the meat (bacon, Sausage) or ditch the meat all together and throw in some veggies (sundried tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc). You can do whatever you like!
For more breakfast recipes, like my Sausage and Stuffing Bake, Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Silver Dollar Banana Pancakes or Carrot Cake Doughnuts, check out the Breakfast Recipe category or my recipe index.
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche
Yield: 8 servings
- 20 oz bag of refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes or Reser’s (use defrosted zero point hash browns if following the myWW Purple plan)
- 4 tablespoons light butter, melted (I use Land O’Lakes)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup fat free milk
- 4 oz (about 1 cup shredded) 50% reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 5 oz diced deli ham (I used Hillshire Farm Deli Select Ultra Thin Brown Sugar Ham)
- 1 scallion diced
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 9” pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the shredded potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the melted butter. Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and stir together until ingredients are well mixed. Transfer the potatoes to the pie plate and press them down across the surface of the dish and up the sides to form a “crust.” Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine the eggs and milk in a mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add the shredded cheese, ham, scallions and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and stir together until thoroughly mixed.
- When the crust is done, remove from the oven and pour the egg mixture into the crust, spreading the ingredients across but leaving a raised edge of crust all around the outside. Reduce the oven heat to 350 and return the pie plate to the oven for an additional 30 minutes until eggs are set and the hash brown edges are browned.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/8th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 6 SmartPoints/ Blue: 5 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints (if using zero point hash browns, if not then use Blue points)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
5 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
183 calories, 16 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 11 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Very Culinary