Pizza Burger Sliders
I love football season, and one of the fun parts is definitely the game day grub. Whether we’re tailgating, hosting a party with friends or just watching the game by ourselves, tasty football food is always part of the plan. These Pizza Burger Sliders combine two of my favorite game-watching foods into one and they’re flavored with a delicious secret ingredient: hummus*!
Y’all probably know by now that I love working with my friends at Sabra*. Well, earlier this Fall they came out with a new flavor: PIZZA HUMMUS. Sound weird? It’s not. It’s delicious. It has the rich flavor and texture of hummus but is seasoned with flavors that totally make you think pizza. They’re sold in six packs of individual containers and should be found where you regularly buy hummus. When I started thinking that I wanted to make burger sliders for a football post, pizza burgers popped into my head and I thought this new hummus might be the perfect way to add some rich pizza flavor to the meat. I always bring hummus when I’m tailgating anyway because it’s perfect with veggies for easy, delicious snacking. I started experimenting with hummus in the burgers and it worked perfectly! The burgers are hearty and flavorful and they pair perfectly with the pizza toppings. I’m in love!
I decided to cook these inside since the colder weather will soon be upon us, but you could easily toss these pizza burger slider on the grill if you’re tailgating or otherwise cooking outdoors. They make great game day food because you can grab one and eat it one handed while holding a beer/soda/pop in your other hand. Plus, they’re pretty hearty for a slider but unlike a full-size burger, at 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints or 185 calories each they allow you some room to enjoy other snacking options as well. So the next time your team plays, don’t forget to have your pizza and burger too! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
*I have partnered with Sabra as part of their 2015 Tastemakers Panel. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with their product, however my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
Pizza Burger Sliders
- 1 lb raw 95% lean ground beef
- 1 (2 oz) container of Sabra Pizza Flavored Hummus Singles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup 2% shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 8 slices turkey pepperoni
- 8 whole wheat slider buns, I used Wegmans brand
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, hummus and a sprinkle of salt and cracked black pepper (I used my hands) until well combined. Form the meat mixture into 8 equally sized balls.*
- Mist a nonstick skillet or griddle pan with cooking spray and bring to medium-high heat and place some or all of the meat balls onto the pan (I did mine in two batches, it will depend on the size of your burner and pan). Using a plastic spatula/flipper, press down lightly on the top of each ball to form a round patty. Cook for 3-4 minutes (mine was good at 3 minutes) and flip each patty. Once the patties are flipped, top each with a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella and cook, holding a large pot lid and inch or two over top of the burgers to trap some of the steam in and melt the cheese, for another 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Transfer the cooked burgers to the slider buns and top each one with ½ teaspoon of pizza sauce, a pepperoni and the top half of the slider bun. Serve immediately.
- *You could also easily make these on the grill if you’re tailgating!
5 per slider or 2 sliders for 9 Points Plus (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
I read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.
I have been unable to find the pizza flavored hummus – do you think it work if I added some pizza sauce to regular hummus?
I think it would be closer to just add Italian seasoning or other Italian style spices
Just discovered your blog and it is a great one . I would like though to know if you are aware that Sabra is in the list of GMO products. Monsanto has been modifying so much of our food that it is insane therefore i would think that it would be better to sabotage their effort by not endorsing their products. Also, i have a question regarding Weight Watchers info.
I read your response saying that you are not endorsed by the mega company when it comes to Smart Points however, since many of us are trying to lose weight by following WW, i would like to know if it is safe to follow your tempting recipes.What is the margin or error so to speak. In closing congratulations for the blog and your efforts to help so many people by offering such good and healthy ideas. Thank you very much. Marina
I calculate the SmartPoints myself using the Weight Watchers recipe builder. With any recipe (including the official WW ones on their site), the nutrition information for different brands of the same product can vary dramatically, so it is always possible that if you use different brands than I did to calculate then the points may be different. Feel free to use my SPs as a guideline but if you want to run things through the recipe builder yourself using the brands and ingredients you personally used to get the most accurate result then you are of course welcome to do so! As for Sabra, I’ve met with their team, I’ve toured their factory, I’ve tasted everything they make and I am truly happy to endorse their products. They’re a brand I personally use and have no trouble recommending. Thank you for your comment, I hope you make some of my recipes! Let me know which ones you cook. 🙂
Emily – I live in WNY and do all my shopping at Wegmans. However, I am unable to find the Sabra “pizza” hummus. Can you tell me what location of Wegman’s you found it at?
I am diabetic and must eat low carb. I have found that many of your recipes work perfectly for me!
Sorry – misspelled my email address.
Thanks for sharing burger recipes.