Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake
I was trying to think of something really easy to throw together for dinner and I was really in the mood for a cheesy, hearty comfort food casserole – this Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake turned out to be just the thing! I started with my recipe for Cheesy Potluck Potatoes and decided to turn it into a main dish by adding chicken and giving it a Buffalo flavored twist. It turned out awesome, it’s so simple to make and it’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken. I suggest pairing this Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake with a salad or some roasted vegetables for a tasty, complete meal. Each creamy, cheesy serving of the casserole is only 302 calories or 7 Green, 6 Blue or 4 Purple Weight Watchers SmartPoints – you’ll never believe it when you try it. Don’t forget to check out my Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken post- the perfect way to make shredded chicken for this recipe!
Looking for more ways to incorporate that Buffalo chicken flavor into your meal plan? Check out my recipes for Buffalo Chicken Soup, Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll-Ups, Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake, Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas, Buffalo Cheese Bread, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Muffins, Buffalo Wing Hummus, Buffalo Chicken Pizza and many more in the Buffalo Flavor section of my recipe index!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake
Yield: 8 servings
- 20 oz bag refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes or Reser’s (use defrosted zero point hash browns if following the myWW Purple plan)
- 2 tablespoons light butter, melted (I use Land O’Lakes)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced or shredded
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz) can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot wing sauce)
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded (such as Cabot)
- 2 oz full fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional garnish: 1 scallion, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the shredded potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the melted butter and black pepper. Stir together and then add the diced or shredded chicken. Add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup and wing sauce and stir together until well combined.
- Mix the full fat and reduced fat cheddar together and add 4 ounces of it into the bowl with the chicken and potatoes. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Transfer the chicken and potato mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly across the dish. Sprinkle the remaining 2 ounces of cheddar over the top of the other ingredients in the dish and place into the pre-heated oven. Bake for 45-60 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the edges are golden. Remove from heat and sprinkle with scallions if desired. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/8th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 6 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints (if using zero point hash browns, if not then use the Blue points)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per serving:
302 calories, 22 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 31 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original