Asian Chicken Wonton Cups
Recently a reader suggested on my Facebook page that I make a potsticker flavored wonton cupcake and these Asian Chicken Wonton Cups are the delicious result. Thanks for the idea, Paula! These wonton cups are stuffed with hearty chicken, mushrooms and cabbage and seasoned with sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sriracha and hoisin sauce (my favorite). My mom was here when I first made them and she said “they have so many layers of flavors!” These Asian Chicken Wonton Cups are filling, flavorful and only 100 calories or 2 WW SmartPoints on the Green, Blue and Purple myWW plans! They’re perfect for dinner and reheat well for lunch. You could even set them out as finger food at a party or have one as a snack!
Looking for more ways to use wonton wrappers? I’ve got you covered! Check out my recipes for Chili Wonton Cups, Pizza Wonton Cups, Chicken Parmesan Wonton Cupcakes, Mini Cinnamon Apple Tarts, Taco Cupcakes, French Dip Cupcakes, Berries and Cream Cinnamon Dessert Cups, Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes, Cheeseburger Cupcakes, Lasagna Cupcakes and many more!
Asian Chicken Wonton Cups
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lb uncooked 99% lean ground chicken breast, you can substitute ground turkey breast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 3 oz shiitake mushrooms, diced (you can substitute another mushroom if unable to locate shiitake)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage, or bagged coleslaw mix
- 2 sliced scallions, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce, divided (found by the other Asian sauces)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 12 cups in a standard muffin/cupcake tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour the sesame oil in a large skillet or saute pan and bring over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, stirring and breaking up into small pieces, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the garlic and ginger to the meat and stir together. Cook for another minute and then add the mushrooms, cabbage, half the scallions and the black pepper. Stir together and cook for 2- 3 minutes until the veggies are softened. Remove from heat. Add the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the Hoisin sauce, and the sriracha and stir to combine.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Press another wonton wrapper on top and fill with the remaining chicken mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the wontons are golden brown and the contents are heated through. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the tin. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of Hoisin sauce onto the tops of the wonton cups and sprinkle with the remaining sliced green onions.
2 per cupcake (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Nutrition Information per cupcake:
100 calories, 10 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 11 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com) Filling adapted from Damn Delicious