Meatball Slider Bombs
These Turkey Meatball Slider Bombs stuffed with gooey Mozzarella cheese and covered in easy 2-ingredient dough are lightened up comfort food at its best! After seeing so many readers using 2-ingredient dough to make everything you can think of, I couldn’t wait to use it in a recipe and I’m so excited about these! Some of you may know that meatballs are one of my all-time favorite foods, and these Meatball Slider Bombs are almost like mini meatball subs all wrapped up in a neat little package! I found these to be super filling so a few could definitely be eaten as a main course, but they’d also be great as finger food at a party or family gathering. Not only is each one bursting with flavor, they’re only 118 calories or 2 Freestyle SmartPoints each on Weight Watchers!
I definitely suggest dipping these Meatball Slider Bombs in your favorite marinara, pizza or pasta sauce for the full flavor bombs experience. I decided not to include it in the official ingredients since everyone will use different varieties and quantities of dipping sauce, but as an FYI, when I added a cup of pasta sauce (I used Francesco Rinaldi) to the full calculations in the recipe builder, each slider bomb (with sauce) was still just 2 Freestyle SmartPoints!
I can’t wait to try more recipes using the 2-ingredient dough – I’m loving it! To see what others are making, check out the #2ingredientdough hashtag on Instagram. So many creative ideas!
Meatball Slider Bombs
Yield: 12 bombs
- ¾ lb (12 oz) raw 99% lean ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks light string cheese, each cut into 6 chunks for 12 chunks total (I used Weight Watchers brand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup self-rising white flour
- 1 cup Fage 0% plain nonfat Greek yogurt (if you don’t use Fage try to use another very thick brand)
- 1 egg white, beaten
Serving suggestion: serve with marinara sauce for dipping (not included in the nutrition info or points calculations listed below)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ground turkey, bread crumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, milk and egg until well combined. Remove the mixture to a clean dry surface (like a cutting board) and separate into 12 equally-sized piles. Place a string cheese chunk into the center of each meat pile and roll the meat into a ball surrounding the cheese.
- Place the oil in a large skillet or saute pan and bring over medium-high heat. When heated, add the meatballs and cook, stirring/flipping when needed, for 5-6 minutes until all the sides of the meatballs are browned. Don’t worry if the inside isn’t cooked through all the way, they’re going in the oven! Remove from heat and allow meatballs to cool so they can be handled.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- While the meatballs are cooling, combine the self-rising flour and the Greek yogurt in a mixing bowl and stir with a fork until combined. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a cutting mat and transfer the dough to the floured workspace. Knead the dough 8-10 times on the floured surface. Dough should be slightly tacky but not wet or overly sticky. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a large rectangle (about 10”x14”). Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the flattened dough into 12 equal squares.
- Place a meatball on the center of each dough square and then fold the corners of the dough up over the meatball. Seal the edges and roll a bit to form a dough ball around the outside of the meatball. You may need to add flour to your hands a few times while you do this to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Place the dough-wrapped meatballs onto the prepared baking sheet and use a pastry brush to coat them with the beaten egg white. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of extra Italian seasoning or oregano and place in the oven for 20-22 minutes. I recommend serving these warm with your favorite marinara, pizza or pasta sauce for dipping!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
2 per slider bomb (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
3 per slider bomb (PP calculated using a PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per slider bomb:
118 calories, 10 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original