Until about a year ago I had never tried a Sloppy Joe. Generally when I tell people that they look shocked, but it simply wasn’t something my mother served us. I tried the canned Manwich kind about a year ago and found that though sloppy, they’re actually really yummy and a great comfort food.
When I saw this recipe on the Skinny Taste web site I knew right away that I wanted to give it a try. Gina’s site has so many amazing recipes and this is no exception, it’s absolutely delicious. I actually ended up eating some of the leftovers just straight out of a bowl the next day because the recipe is so good. The vegetables give it a hearty texture and I actually prefer the taste to the canned version. The picture of this recipe is awful (I’ll have to take a new one next time I make it and update it) but just trust me, you should make this.
Yield: 7 (1/2 cup) servings
- 1.25 lbs 95% lean ground beef, raw
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning which is amazing)
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz mushrooms, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Put carrot, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper into a food processor and pulse until minced and combined
- Bring a large skillet to med-high heat and add ground beef. Break it up as it browns and add steak seasoning. Once meat is browned, add minced vegetables and garlic and mix to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir mixture. Cover with lid and reduce heat to simmer for 5 more minutes.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/2 cup) serving:(SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 2 SmartPoints/ Blue: 2 SmartPoints/ Purple: 2 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Slightly adapted from skinnytaste.com
Hi Emily! I was wondering if you count points for the tomato paste or the tomato sauce?
I put all of the ingredients into the WW recipe builder, so yes, everything is counted!
I tried this tonight and it was super yummy! As it was cooking it seemed a bit too liquidy but it turned out great by the time it was done. It tastes way better than that canned stuff . 🙂 Also, bonus points for getting my 4 yr old to unknowingly eat mushrooms, which she hates. lol
What is the serving size?
Made this tonight but left out the mushrooms and carrots and reduced the tomato sauce a half a cup. So good! Thank you!
I really want to add quinoa to this (similar to your Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe, one of my faves!). Got any tips for finding the right balance of beef and quinoa?