Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Looking for a creamy, steamy bowl of comfort that will fill you up and warm you from the inside out? Look no further than this Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. Now that it’s really cold out and everything is covered in snow, all I want to do is stay in, snuggle up in cozy slippers and a fluffy blanket, read a good book and eat this soup. My mom has been making this recipe for a while (she adapted it from another blog) and it reminds me of my favorite soup from Panera (of the same name). I’ve tried a few other similar recipes but none have held a candle to this one. Definitely one of my favorite soups.
This recipe freezes well, so it’s perfect to make a big batch and then freeze individual servings. Then a hot, comforting, satisfying bowl of soup is only a microwave or stovetop warming away!
On a soup kick? Try Cheeseburger Soup, Spaghetti & Meatball Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, White Chicken Chili, Herbed Chicken & Dumplings, Buffalo Chicken Chili or Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice
Yield: 10 (1 cup) servings
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups (32 oz) less sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (6 oz) box of Long Grain & Wild Rice with seasoning (I used Uncle Ben’s) – not the quick cooking kind, do not prepare
- 1 cup sliced or diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) light butter (I used Land O’Lakes)
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the chicken, rice (with seasoning packet), carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred. Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a plate and shred with two forks. Replace the lid and continue to simmer the rest.
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour a spoonful at a time to make a roux. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the shredded chicken and the cream mixture back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow soup to thicken and flavors to combine.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
212 calories, 19 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Source: my Mom, adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking