Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup
Stop looking for your next favorite soup recipe because I think I’ve found it in this Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup! This soup is what dreams are made of: spicy sausage, healthy spinach, a seasoned, flavorful tomato broth that’s slightly creamy and comforting pockets of cheese-filled pasta. I love one-pot meals and winter is totally soup season for me, so this was right up my alley. Plus each 1 1/3 cup serving is just 269 calories or 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints! This is a soup recipe that eats like a meal and one the whole family will love.
If you have leftovers of this soup, the tortellini *might* absorb some of the broth while in the fridge. The difference in mine was negligible, I didn’t even really notice except the broth seemed a bit thicker. If this happens, don’t fret! You can definitely thin it back out again by adding additional broth before reheating. It could make it a little tricky to determine the serving size for your leftovers (since a bit of the broth disappeared), but there are several ways to work it out. You can measure the leftovers in cups once you pull them back out again and then divide by the number of remaining servings to figure out how much to take (this would work great!). You can also cook and store your tortellini separately and then add a portion of it to each serving of the soup as it’s served. Or you can just eyeball it. Your call!
Looking for more tasty, hearty soup recipes? Check out my Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Zuppa Toscana, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, Cheeseburger Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup and more in the soup section of my recipe index!
Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup
Yield: 8 (1 1/3 cups) servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb raw hot Italian poultry sausage, casings removed (I used Wegmans poultry sausage, you can use turkey or chicken sausage)
- 32 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can unseasoned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 12 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cup torn fresh spinach
- Pour the olive oil into a soup pot or Dutch oven and bring over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic, stir together and cook for another 30-60 seconds. Add the sausage and stir together. Cook, breaking the meat up into small pieces, until the sausage is cooked through and fully broken up.
- Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover the pot and add the cream cheese. Whisk the cream cheese in while simmering until the cheese is dissolved. Add the tortellini and spinach and stir together. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes until pasta is cooked.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per (1 1/3 cup) serving* (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
*if you want a bigger serving you can also do six (1 ¾ cup) servings for 8 SPs each
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per (1 1/3 cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
269 calories, 30 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 9 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 18 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Adapted from Yellow Bliss Road