Black Bean Soup
This flavorful, healthy, one-pot Black Bean Soup is the perfect cure for a cold weather day. Rich and filling, with layers of flavor that keep developing as you eat it and a bit of a spicy kick, this soup will warm you up from the inside out! I also love how easy this is to make, using ingredients I often have on hand. I served this to my mom for lunch when she was over watching Claire and she gushed about it so I knew it was a winner! She said it was “spicy, smoky and zesty” and my husband said it has “a nice kick” to it. A cup of this Black Bean Soup is so satisfying and just 284 calories or 1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint. That’s right, there are only 6 SmartPoints in this entire pot of soup (before you ask, they come from the oil and broth)!
This Black Bean Soup is great on its own, but it’s also fun to add toppings! Feel free to experiment, but my suggestions are avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, greek yogurt, or crushed tortilla chips. So many good options!
For more tasty, lightened up soup recipes like this Black Bean Soup check out my Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup, Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Roasted Corn Soup, Beef Taco Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup, Chicken Corn Chowder, Zuppa Toscana, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, Cheeseburger Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Herbed Chicken and Dumplings, Roasted Tomato Basil Soup and more in the soup section of my recipe index!
Black Bean Soup
Yield: 7 (1 cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups diced onions
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced thin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (I used medium heat)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Optional garnishes (not included in nutrition calculations): cilantro, sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, etc.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or soup pot to medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, carrots, and a bit of salt and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Cook for another minute. Add the broth and stir to scrape anything up off the bottom of the pot. Add the black beans and salsa and stir together. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup mixture to a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir together until fully combined. Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve hot.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints:
1 per (1 cup) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per (1 cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per (1 cup) serving:
284 calories, 50 g carbs, 9 g sugars, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 16 g protein, 18 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Adapted from Cookie and Kate