Taco Casserole Bake
This casserole was downright delicious. I found this recipe on another blog, Healthy-Delicious, and the author compared the flavors to a big order of nachos you’d order at a casual dining chain restaurant. I think she’s almost right, but this tastes even better! The chili oil makes this pretty spicy (in a good way) so if you like things milder you could use mild salsa instead of medium to tone it down a little. The original recipe was made with ground chicken, so you can use that instead if you prefer. If you like Mexican-American food, you will love this!
Taco Casserole Bake
Yield: 6 servings
- 24 Baked Tostitos Scoops
- 1 tablespoon Chili Oil (I found this in the Asian foods aisle) – if you are considering replacing this with regular oil please note the chili oil adds a lot of spice and flavor to this dish, so replacing it will affect the flavor profile
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¼ lbs extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa (I used medium)
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese (I used Weight Watchers brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, warm the chili oil and sauté onions and garlic until softened. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning, break up into pieces and cook until meat is browned. Mix in salsa and beans and cook for a few more minutes until salsa thickens.
- Break up the tortilla chips into bite sized pieces and use them to line the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Evenly spread the meat mixture over the chips and then sprinkle cheese over the top*. Bake for 20 minutes.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/6th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
adapted from Healthy-Delicious