Crispy Cheddar Chicken with Cream Sauce
I’ve been seeing variations of this Crispy Cheddar Chicken with Creamy Sauce recipe around the internet for a while now and I’m so happy I finally made my own version. It’s simple, it makes a lot and it’s definitely comfort food. I used corn flake crumbs rather than Ritz crackers and made a few other changes to lighten it up and I was really pleased with the results. The cheese in the crispy coating is delicious and helps the coating stick really well to the chicken when it bakes. The creamy sauce is made mostly cream of chicken soup, but you can definitely substitute cream of mushroom if you prefer. I know some people do not like the “cream of” condensed soups, and if that’s you, you can easily just omit the sauce or make a cheese sauce or something similar from scratch. I happen to think the cream of chicken sauce tastes great with this crispy cheddar chicken, but I totally understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
This Crispy Cheddar Chicken with Creamy Sauce is a great dish for dinner with the family because I can easily see it being a hit with kids and adults alike. Plus it’s just 337 calories or 7 Green, 5 Blue or 5 Purple myWW SmartPoints for a filling serving and it pairs perfectly with almost any veggie side. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes? Check out my Chicken Pot Pasta, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Bruschetta Topped Balsamic Chicken, Lemon Chicken Orzo, Greek Chicken Tacos, Baked Chicken Tenders, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Mediterranean Topped Grilled Chicken, Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken Pasta, Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Cheddar Ranch Chicken Tenders, Spicy Southwest Chicken Wraps, Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Chicken, Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and so many more in the Chicken section of my recipe index!
Crispy Cheddar Chicken with Cream Sauce
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 12 equal pieces, (for me this was 4 large breasts; I cut each into 3 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 oz shredded 50% sharp cheddar cheese
- 10.5 oz can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken condensed soup
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons light butter, I used Land O’Lakes
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly mist a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the chicken pieces into a gallon zip top bag with the flour and seal. Shake/massage the bag contents until the chicken is coated with flour.
- In a shallow dish, combine the egg whites and milk and beat together lightly with a whisk or fork. In a separate shallow dish, combine the corn flake crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley and shredded cheddar and stir together until well combined.
- Take one of the chicken pieces from the bag and dip it into the egg white mixture to coat all sides, then transfer it to the crumby cheese mixture and coat all sides with crumbs and cheese. Place the coated chicken in the prepared baking dish and repeat the coating process with all remaining pieces of chicken. If any of the crumb/cheese mixture is remaining, sprinkle it over the top of the chicken in the dish.
- Lightly mist the tops of the chicken breasts with cooking spray and cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 10-12 minutes uncovered until the coating is crispy.
- When the chicken goes back in the oven, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and butter in a small saucepan and bring over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is heated through. When the chicken is done, serve the sauce over the chicken. One serving is two pieces of chicken and 3 tablespoons of sauce.
8 per serving (P+ calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below) Adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up