Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Oh. My. Goodness. This Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken is positively swoon-worthy. I’m obsessed! The Cajun panko coating is crunchy with just the right amount of kick, and the warm, creamy pimento cheese oozes out of the chicken with each bite. If you’re unfamiliar with pimento cheese, it’s a Southern classic that mixes cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimiento peppers (the ones you may know from being stuffed in green olives), and other seasonings and ingredients depending on who is making it. It’s amazing straight up or as grilled cheese filling, a burger topping, or countless other ways…like stuffed into this chicken!
This Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken is very filling (it’s a large serving!) and it pairs perfectly with a vegetable side (like the green beans and almonds pictured here). It comes together quickly and easily and tastes so decadent no one will ever believe it’s only 344 calories or 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints! This chicken can be an easy weeknight meal or a perfect main course to serve company as it’s sure to impress! The recipe can also be easily halved or doubled, depending on how many you’re serving.
Looking for more ways to make your chicken breasts delicious? Try my Antipasto Chicken Roulades, Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Chicken, Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken, Cheddar Ranch Chicken Tenders, Pesto Chicken Roulades, Lemon Pepper Iced Tea Chicken, Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing, Pizza Chicken Roulades,Thai Chicken Skewers, Chicken Piccata, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken and many, many more in the chicken section of my recipe index!
Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise (I used Hellmann’s)
- 2 oz shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos (from a jar)
- A pinch of garlic powder
- A pinch of onion powder
- 4 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (24 oz total)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayo, cheddar, pimientos and a sprinkle of garlic powder and onion powder and mix together until well combined.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice the breasts from the side (creating a top and bottom) almost all the way through. Open each breast at the slit and distribute the pimento cheese mixture evenly between the breasts, placing it inside the open chicken. Spread cheese across the surface and close the breast, folding the top half back over the pimento cheese.
- Combine the flour and Cajun seasoning in a small dish and stir together. Place the stuffed breasts in a Ziploc bag and add the Cajun flour mixture. Lightly flip the bag around until chicken is coated with flour. Place the beaten egg white in a shallow dish and the panko crumbs in a second shallow dish. Remove each stuffed breast from the flour bag and dip it in the egg white, turning to coat. Then move the coated breast to the dish of panko crumbs and coat it on all sides.
- In a large skillet, add the oil and bring over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed and coated chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 1 minute until the bread crumbs on the bottom are golden. Flip the breasts and cook for another minute on the other side. Transfer the breasts to the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving was 9 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per serving (PP calculated using the a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
344 calories, 9 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 13 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 44 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original