White Chicken Chili
I first posted this one-pot White Chicken Chili recipe back in January 2011 and I thought both the recipe and the photos were in need of an update! I made very minor tweaks to the recipe to make it easier to follow and I upgraded the photos since the previous ones were not so appetizing. This White Chicken Chili is super healthy, hearty and flavorful, so hopefully the refresh will get this recipe on more readers’ radars (and in more of your kitchens as well!). I love that this comes together all in one pot and it’s super easy to make – perfect for the colder days ahead! Plus, a serving of this chili is 291 calories or just 7 Green, 1 Blue or 1 Purple myWW SmartPoints. Just ONE point on the Blue or Purple plans!
I make a big batch of cooked, shredded chicken fairly frequently so that I have it on hand for recipes like this, and also to just use in salads, sandwiches, wraps, etc throughout the week. My favorite way to do it (also the easiest way, in my opinion) is to just toss it in the slow cooker with some water or broth. In the end it basically shreds itself! If you want complete instructions for this super simple method, I outline it in this Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken post.
Looking for more warm, comforting soups, stews and chili recipes? Check out my Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Beef Taco Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Best Turkey Chili, Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup, Zuppa Toscana, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Slow Cooker Beef Stew, Italian Wedding Soup, Chicken Corn Chowder, Cheeseburger Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup and more in my recipe index!
White Chicken Chili
Yield: 8 (1 cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 (15.5 oz.) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped or shredded cooked skinless chicken breast
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Bring oil to medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions and sauté for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Add the chili powder, garlic and cumin and stir to coat the onions. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add the oregano and beans, stir and cook for 30 more seconds. Add the broth and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 2 cups of the bean/broth mixture into a blender (or container for an immersion blender) and process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to the pot. Add the chicken and tomatoes and cook over medium-low for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper and stir to combine before serving.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 cup) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 1 SmartPoints/ Purple: 1 SmartPoints
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:
7 per (1 cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
NUTRITION INFORMATION per 1 cup serving:
291 calories, 36 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 12 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Source: My mom, who adapted it from Cooking Light, November 2006