Thai Peanut Chicken Wonton Cupcakes
I’m always looking for new ways to use my favorite PB2 peanut sauce in a recipe, and I decided it was about time I make an Asian-themed wonton cupcake. I’ve certainly made quite a few other types! As always, these Thai Peanut Chicken Wonton Cupcakes come together quickly and easily for a tasty, portion controlled weeknight meal. Perfect to make ahead for grab-and-go lunches as well!
This PB2 sauce is ultra rich and peanutty and it’s great over the hearty chicken, broccoli slaw and crispy wonton cups. The peanuts on top give it extra crunch and flavor and the cilantro and sprouts add freshness. I wasn’t originally sure about putting cheese in these since it’s not usually found with Asian flavors, but it helps the wonton layers stick together. It worked in my Thai Chicken Pizza recipe, so I gave it a try using less than usual and it worked great.
Looking for more ways to use wonton wrappers? I’ve got you covered! Check out my recipes for Chicken Parmesan Wonton Cupcakes, Mini Cinnamon Apple Tarts, Taco Cupcakes, French Dip Cupcakes, Berries and Cream Cinnamon Dessert Cups, Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes, Cheeseburger Cupcakes, Lasagna Cupcakes and more!
Thai Peanut Chicken Wonton Cupcakes
Yield: 8 cupcakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups broccoli slaw (you can find bagged broccoli slaw in the produce sections, Dole, Green Giant and Wegmans all make it)
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup sprouts, possibly more for garnish (I used broccoli sprouts, but bean sprouts or any sprouts will work)
- 4 tablespoons PB2 powdered peanut butter (available in stores or on amazon.com)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 16 wonton wrappers
- ½ cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons peanuts, crushed (I put them in a big and hit them a few times with a mallet)
- 1-2 teaspoons torn cilantro leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of sesame oil into a skillet and bring over medium heat. Add the broccoli slaw and bell pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until slaw is tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer the slaw mixture to a mixing bowl and combine with the chopped chicken and the sprouts.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ¼ teaspoon sesame oil, PB2 powder, soy sauce, water, garlic powder, black pepper, sriracha and brown sugar and stir until well mixed into a sauce. Add the sauce to the chicken and slaw and stir to coat.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and add the remaining chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle the crushed peanuts evenly over the tops of the cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin. Sprinkle the torn cilantro leaves and additional sprouts if desired.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
3 per “cupcake” (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a cupcake was 4 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per “cupcake” (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
137 calories, 13 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original, sauce from Bell Plantation