One-Pot Spicy Dirty Rice with Chicken and Sausage
This One-Pot Spicy Dirty Rice with Chicken and Sausage is filling, flavorful comfort food bliss – with a kick! My mom was over when I made this for my site and she said she’d be really happy if she was served this dish at a restaurant with a cold beer, so I think that’s a win! I love when recipes all come together in one pot, it’s so much easier and it saves on clean up. Plus, once you cook the sausage and chicken for this recipe, the bottom of your pot will be coated in tasty flavors you can scrape up into your veggies and rice that give them that “dirty” rice color and make your taste buds happy. This recipe is spicy, but you can adjust the heat by adding less or more cayenne and crushed red pepper if you wish. The amounts I have below are a bit less than the original recipe I adapted it from, but this will still have a kick! My lightened up version rings in at just 405 calories or 10 Green, 8 Blue or 4 Purple myWW SmartPoints per serving!
Looking for more lightened up one-pot meals like this Spicy Dirty Rice with Chicken and Sausage? Check out my Chicken Pot Pasta, Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet, Turkey Sloppy Joe Pasta, Beef Enchilada Pasta Skillet, White Chicken Chili, Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet, Thai Turkey with Carrot Noodles, Lemon Chicken Orzo with Tomatoes and Asparagus, Rustic Sausage and Potato Skillet, Beefy American Goulash, Beef Stroganoff, One Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Veggie Pasta Skillet, The Best Turkey Chili, Sausage Tortellini Skillet and more in the One-Pot Meal section of my recipe index!
Spicy Dirty Rice with Chicken and Sausage
Yield: 6 servings (see nutrition for details)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (24 oz total)
- 1 (13 oz) link turkey smoked sausage, sliced (I used Hillshire Farm)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry long-grain white rice (use brown rice if following myWW Purple)
- 2 ¼ cups reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- Optional: parsley for garnish
- In a small dish, mix together the salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, minced onion, oregano, ¼ teaspoon of the cayenne, the crushed red pepper, the lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil to form a paste. Rub the paste over the surface of the chicken breasts on all sides. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, bring 1 ½ teaspoons of oil over med-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced sausage and cook, stirring/flipping occasionally, until browned (about 5 minutes). Remove the sausage to a side plate.
- Add another 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil to the pot and allow them to come to temperature (should happen quickly). Add the chicken breasts in a single layer and sear on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip the breasts and sear on the other side for another 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot to the plate with the sausage.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the pot and allow it to heat up. Add the onions, celery and jalapeno and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly to scrape up any brown bits of flavor stuck to the bottom of the pot and coat your veggies with flavor. Your veggies should start to look brown from mixing with the flavors on the bottom.
- Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and rice and stir to combine. Add the broth and continue to “deglaze the pan” by scraping up any brown bits off the bottom. Increase the heat to medium and bring the contents to a simmer. Once simmering, add the sausage, chicken, and any juices on the plate back to the pot, placing the chicken in a single layer on top of the other ingredients. Return to a simmer and cover.
- Place the covered pot in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Slice the chicken before serving.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 cup of sausage and rice mixture + 2.75 oz chicken) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 10 SmartPoints/ Blue: 8 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints (if using brown rice, if not then use the Blue points)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
10 per (1 cup of sausage and rice mixture + 2.75 oz chicken) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per (1 cup of sausage and rice mixture + 2.75 oz chicken) serving:
405 calories, 32 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 13 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 38 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Lightly adapted from The Chunky Chef