Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet
This One-Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet is full of flavor and perfect for an easy weeknight meal. I love recipes that only use one pan! The olives, paprika and lemon give this dish tons of flavor and a serving is hearty and satisfying for just 400 calories or 6 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers Freestyle. My husband loves rice, so I’m always looking for new and different ways to serve it. I found the original recipe for this dish on Ahead of Thyme and made a few tweaks and it was a big hit. Plus, it comes together really quickly and once you set it to simmer you have time to clean up after yourself, set the table, make a side salad and pour yourself a drink!
Looking for more lightened up one-pot meals like this Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet? Check out my Chicken Pot Pasta, Turkey Sloppy Joe Pasta, Beef Enchilada Pasta Skillet, White Chicken Chili, Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet, Thai Turkey with Carrot Noodles, Lemon Chicken Orzo with Tomatoes and Asparagus, Rustic Sausage and Potato Skillet, Beefy American Goulash, Beef Stroganoff, One Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Veggie Pasta Skillet, The Best Turkey Chili, Sausage Tortellini Skillet and more in the One-Pot Meal section of my recipe index!
Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet
Yield: 4 (about 1 1/4 cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ cups low sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 12 Manzanilla olives, cut in half (the green ones stuffed with pimentos)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- *optional add-in* 1 tablespoon capers (I like these and had them on hand so I tossed them in at the end, but they’re not necessary)
- Place the oil in a large saute pan or walled skillet and bring over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Stir to coat the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic, stir, and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the chicken pieces are cooked and the onion is softened a bit. Add the rice and stir together. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and then stir in the paprika until everything is well combined.
- Add the broth and tomato sauce and stir together. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked (mine was done at 20 minutes, but I think my burners run slightly hot – you may want to check at 20 and stir it around to see if you need more time).
- Add the lemon zest (you can add some juice to taste as well if you love lemon), olives and cilantro and stir together.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
10 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per (1 ¼ cup) serving:
400 calories, 46 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 9 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 32 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Lightly adapted from Ahead of Thyme