This decadent, lightened up one-pot Beef Stroganoff is the definition of comfort food. A rich, creamy sauce with tender slices of flank steak, egg noodles and mushrooms, it’s the perfect dish moving into these colder months. And did I mention it’s all made in one pot? So easy and less dishes – sign me up! Plus a satisfying serving is just 397 calories or 9 Green, 9 Blue or 5 Purple Weight Watchers SmartPoints. This dish tastes super indulgent and you’ll never guess from the flavor that it’s lightened up.
I used mushrooms in this recipe to share it with you all because it’s traditional, I personally think they’re delicious in stroganoff and mushrooms are a great way to bulk up a meal and make it more filling, but since Mr. Bites hates them I picked them all out of his. If you’re a mushroom hater like he is you can omit them without issue. I also recommend using high quality paprika for this dish (I used sweet paprika) if you’re able, it gives it a flavor boost!
On a personal note, my husband lost a close friend this week in a terrible accident and it has been really hard on him. I’ve been trying to make his life as easy and comforting as possible when he gets home from work and Beef Stroganoff has always been a favorite of his. I want to dedicate this dish to my husband’s friend Tim and to all those who loved him and could use some comfort right now in their time of grief. You’re in my heart and constant thoughts.
Looking for more lightened up comfort food pasta dishes? Check out the pasta section of my recipe index for favorites like Beefy American Goulash, Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken Pasta, Beef and Sausage Manicotti, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti Pie, Sausage Tortellini Skillet, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Spicy Sausage Pasta and many more!
Yield: 6 (1 1/3 cups) servings
- 1 tablespoon light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ lbs lean and trimmed flank steak, sliced into thin strips across the grain
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 cups low sodium fat free beef broth
- 8 oz uncooked egg noodles (use wheat noodles if following the myWW Purple plan)
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- 1 ½ tablespoons cold tap water
- ½ cup light sour cream
- Diced fresh parsley, to taste
- In a large saute pan or pot, bring the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are softened and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove the mushrooms to a side plate and return the pan to the burner.
- Add the canola oil to the pan and bring them to medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic, stir, and then cook for another 30-60 seconds. Add the sliced steak to the pan and stir. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper. Cook the steak, stirring occasionally until just browned through, about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle the paprika over the beef and then stir together until the beef is well coated.
- Add the broth to the pan and turn up the heat to bring the broth to a strong simmer. Once simmering, add the egg noodles, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Simmer for 7-8 minutes until the noodles are cooked. While the noodles are cooking, combine the corn starch and water in a small dish and stir together until the corn starch is dissolved. When the noodles are cooked, remove the lid from the pan and add the corn starch slurry. Stir the slurry into the broth and allow to cook uncovered for a few more minutes until the sauce is thickened. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the reserved mushrooms and the sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 1/3 cups) serving:(SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 9 SmartPoints/ Blue: 9 SmartPoints/ Purple: 5 SmartPoints (if using wheat noodles, if not then use the Blue points)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
10 per (1 1/3 cups) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per (1 1/3 cups) serving:
397 calories, 34 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 15 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 34 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)