Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks
I love sweet potatoes and you all know I love muffin tins, so when I kept seeing traditional potatoes made into cute little stacks this way I had an epiphany: sweet potato stacks! Now, I’m probably not the first person to ever dream that up, but as I continued to think about it I decided to go all out with the idea and top my stacks off with a buttery brown sugar pecan topping: Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks! These stacks are a fun twist on the traditional Thanksgiving casserole, perfectly portioned and just as at home as part of your weekday family dinner as they are on your holiday table.
Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are layered with butter, oil and syrup and then topped with a sweet, crunchy topping and each one is only 141 calories or 3 Weight Watchers points! These stacks are a great side dish for any meaty main dish and they are perfect for your Thanksgiving meal or a Friendsgiving party because they look fresh and impressive and they taste comforting and familiar.
Looking for more lightened up, tasty side dishes to complement your mains? Check out the side dish section of my recipe index for my Roasted Smashed Garlic Potatoes, Cheesy Broccoli Bake, Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Almonds, Loaded Cauliflower Bake, Zucchini Casserole, Garlic Thyme Roasted Carrots, Cheesy Potluck Potatoes, Spinach and Parmesan Orzo, Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and many more!
Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks
Yield: 12 stacks
- 2 ½ lbs raw sweet potatoes, sliced very thin (you can use a mandolin or a sharp knife)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons light butter, melted, divided (I used Land O’Lakes)
- 2 tablespoons light breakfast syrup (I used butter flavored syrup)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist a standard size 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the oil with one tablespoon of the butter, the syrup and the vanilla in a small dish or bowl. Place the sweet potato slices in a large mixing bowl and drizzle the syrup mixture over the potatoes. Stir until the potato slices are coated. Stack the slices into the cups of the prepared muffin tin to form even piles.
- In another small bowl, combine the salt with the flour, brown sugar, pecans and the remaining tablespoon and a half of melted butter. Stir together until well combined and then divide the mixture evenly over top of the potato stacks. Place the stacks in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until the stacks are cooked through.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per stack (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per stack (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
141 calories, 22 g carbs, 6 g sugar, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Inspired by What’s Gaby Cooking