Oh my goodness. I am so excited to share these Pizza Logs with you that I can barely contain myself and think of how to put it into words. I decided this concession stand staple needed a healthy makeover when I passed a tray of them wandering through the Wegmans prepared food section the other day. They looked oh-so-good but also oh-so-bad for me and I immediately got to work on lightening them up. I wish I had realized earlier that Pizza Logs would be so quick and easy to make because they taste every single bit as delicious as their fried counterparts. I should have been making these for years! I’m not going to lie…I can see myself making up for lost time by just making these weekly for the next several months. Yum.
These seriously taste even better than the fried version and each pizza log is less than 100 calories and only 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints on myWW Green, Blue and Purple! Don’t be skeptical about halving the string cheese – it’s absolutely perfect. The cheese spreads out and gets gooey and stringy and the ratio of pepperoni to egg roll wrapper to cheese couldn’t be better. Traditional pizza logs don’t have sauce in them but I decided to try putting a little in half of these to see what I thought and I liked those ones way better. It makes them juicier. On of the great things about these is you can easily make as many or as few of these as you like. Snack for one? Just make two logs. Party for 10? You can easily make 20-30. Your guests will never guess these are a healthy version and you’ll be a very popular host!
Yield: 8 pizza logs
- 8 egg roll wrappers (larger than wonton wrappers)
- 8 teaspoons store-bought pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 turkey pepperoni slice (I used Hormel)
- 4 light Mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut in half horizontally to make two shorter sticks (I used Weight Watchers brand – recommended!)
- Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour some water into a small dish and set aside. On a flat surface, place an egg roll wrapper, corner facing toward you (like a diamond) and spread a teaspoon of pizza sauce horizontally across the center of the wrapper, leaving ½ inch or so of space on each side. Sprinkle a pinch of Italian seasoning across the sauce and add a row of 3 pepperoni slices over the sauce. Place half a cheese stick on top of the pepperoni. Fold the bottom corner closest to you up over the ingredients and give it a 90 degree roll. Fold the side corners in and tuck them as you give the filled section another 90 degree roll. Dip your finger in the dish or reserved water and lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper. Finish rolling the filled pizza log over the wet corner so that it adheres. Place wrapped pizza log onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- When all of the pizza logs are wrapped and on the baking sheets, mist the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10-14 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden brown.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 piece) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 2 SmartPoints/ Blue: 2 SmartPoints/ Purple: 2 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per pizza log (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
97 calories, 13 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original