Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake
Say goodbye to a boring breakfast, because this Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake is positively packed with flavor! You’ll season your own sausage (it takes about a minute and it’s so much lighter and tastier) using ground turkey breast, top it with onions, chiles and jalapeno, two types of cheese and a seasoned egg mixture, and then bake – it’s really easy! This Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake is great to serve the family for breakfast or brunch or to make on Sunday and eat for breakfasts during the week. One serving is just 236 calories or 2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints and just 5 grams of carbs!
Looking for more flavorful lightened up breakfasts like my Sausage and Pepper Bake? Check out my Apple Cinnamon Pancakes, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Bacon Sausage Egg and Cheese Braid, Triple Berry Yogurt Bowl, Pear Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata, Berry French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, Orange Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Apple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Butternut Squash Autumn Frittata, Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole, Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage and Stuffing Brunch Bake, Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes, Pumpkin Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups, Banana Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, and many more in the breakfast section of my recipe index!
Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb raw 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground sage
- ¾ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon seeded and diced jalapeno
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 4 oz shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
- 10 raw large eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, the sage, thyme, marjoram and crushed red pepper. Stir (or mush with your hands or a fork) until the turkey is well combined with the seasonings. Mist a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the seasoned turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the turkey is cooked through and broken into small pieces. Remove the turkey sausage to the prepared casserole dish and spread across the bottom. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Mist the skillet with cooking spray again and bring back to medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for a few minutes until softened. Mix in the diced green chiles and stir together. Cook for another minute then remove from heat. Spread the onions and peppers over top of the sausage in the baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper and the chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Beat the eggs and seasonings with a whisk. When beaten, pour the eggs over top of the cheese layer in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and cut into 8 servings.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
2 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per serving:
236 calories, 5 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Taste of Home