Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata
This Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata is easy to make, low carb, super filling and so full of flavor – it’s my new go-to breakfast! I get bored with eggs sometimes but this egg dish is anything but boring. The homemade turkey sausage is full of seasoning and flavor and pairs perfectly with the sweet apple and sharp cheddar cheese. This frittata reheats well so you can make it once and eat it for breakfast for a few days or serve the whole family for breakfast or brunch. I was already torn between my love for my Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata and Butternut Squash Autumn Frittata, but I think I might love this Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata even more. A hearty, satisfying serving is just 189 calories or 5 Green, 2 Blue or 2 Purple myWW SmartPoints – a perfect way to start the day!
Looking for more tasty, lightened up breakfast recipes? Check out my Strawberry Avocado Toast Flats, Berry French Toast Muffins, Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Pastries, Raspberry Peach Baked Oatmeal Singles, Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, Orange Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Apple Cinnamon Slow Cooker Oatmeal, Apple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Maple Bacon Breakfast Wraps, Pear Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Singles, Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole, Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Singles, Hummus and Feta Omelet, Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes, Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups and many more in the breakfast category of my recipe index!
Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata
Yield: 6 slices
- ½ lb (8 oz) 99% lean ground turkey breast
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/3 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/3 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apples
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (make sure to choose a quality sharp cheddar for added flavor)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and the sage, thyme, marjoram and crushed red pepper. Stir (or mush with your hands or a fork) until the turkey is well combined with the seasonings.
- Mist an 8”-10” oven-safe nonstick walled skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the seasoned turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through and broken into bite-sized pieces. Add the chopped apples and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring a few times.
- While the turkey is cooking, break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until just combined. Add the yogurt, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper and shredded cheddar and stir together until mixed.
- When the turkey and apples are cooked, transfer them into the bowl containing the egg mixture and stir together. Spray the skillet you used liberally with cooking spray and then pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Cook on a burner set to medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the very outside edge of the frittata starts to turn opaque/look cooked. Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook for 15-17 minutes until the center is set. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slice into 6 slices and serve.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/6th of the recipe) serving:(SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 5 SmartPoints/ Blue: 2 SmartPoints/ Purple: 2 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
5 per slice (P+ calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per slice:
189 calories, 4 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 21 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original