Cajun Roasted Chickpeas
If you haven’t tried roasted chickpeas before, you’re in for a real treat. You probably usually think of chickpeas on salads or mushed into hummus, but roasting and seasoning them makes for a crunchy, salty snack that tastes amazing and is packed with fiber and protein.
This Cajun Roasted Chickpeas recipe is super versatile, because you can really use any seasoning you want. I chose a Cajun blend because I was in the mood for something spicy, but you can follow the same technique and just sprinkle with salt or add taco seasoning or ranch mix or any number of other spices. The flavor possibilities are endless! If you love Cajun spice then I definitely recommend trying it with the spices below – I loved it.
Some people add the oil and spices before roasting, but I’ve always dry roasted them and I’ve had tons of luck getting them to just the texture I like that way. All ovens vary a bit so if your chickpeas need an extra 10 minutes or so to crisp up you can always stick them back in. You can also easily double the recipe if you’re making these for a party snack – they’re sure to move fast!
Cajun Roasted Chickpeas
Yield: 6 (1/3 cup) servings
- 2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas)
- Cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans and then spread them in a single layer on a clean dish towel. Pat dry with another towel and allow them to sit and dry for another 5 minutes. Transfer the chickpeas to a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, shaking the pan (or stirring the chickpeas) every 10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, combine all the spices listed and stir until well mixed.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and spray them with cooking spray to coat. Immediately transfer the chickpeas to a mixing bowl while still hot and sprinkle the seasonings over the top. Mix together until chickpeas are well coated.
- Spread the seasoned chickpeas back onto the baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the chickpeas in for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/3 cup) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 3 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per (1/3 cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
131 calories, 24 g carbs, 0 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 8 g protein, 8 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Emily Bites, Cajun spice mix adapted from allrecipes