Chicken Pesto Wonton Cupcakes
Attention all wonton “cupcake” lovers: I’ve got another great one for you. I love pesto all year round, but when the weather gets warmer that fresh basil, lemon, Parmesan, pine nut and garlic flavor combo just sounds absolutely perfect. Since I know y’all are always looking for more wonton cup recipes, I thought I’d make good use of my pesto craving and try these Chicken Pesto Wonton Cupcakes on for size. The results were just as I hoped! The fresh flavor of pesto combined with hearty chicken, juicy tomatoes and cheesy Mozzarella made for ideal wonton filling. These come together super quickly and are great for grab and go lunches, Summer potlucks or family dinners. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Looking for more wonton cups? I’ve got everything from Lasagna to Taco to Cheeseburger to French Dip! Click here to check out all my wonton recipes.
deconstructed wonton cup
Chicken Pesto Wonton Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¾ cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 grape tomatoes, chopped
- 16 wonton wrappers, typically found in the produce section
- 4 oz shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a small, dry skillet over medium heat and add the pine nuts. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally until nuts are golden brown.
- Transfer the toasted pine nuts, fresh basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, oil, water, lemon juice, garlic clove, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the bowl of your food processor and process until minced together into a pesto paste. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chopped chicken with the pesto and the chopped tomatoes and mix together until well combined.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half the Mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining chicken mixture and Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
4 per “cupcake” (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Can we use egg roll wrappers instead?
egg roll wrappers are bigger, so you can use them but you’ll have a lot more wonton happening 🙂
Another good looking variation. I am looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks for posting.
I hope you love it, Clint!
Looks very delicious and I can’t wait to try it! Thank you Emily!
Let me know what you think! 🙂
Can’t locate it in MFP
Hi Tina, I use MFP to calculate the nutrition info, but as Laura said below I don’t publish it there. The nutrition info is provided above though, so you should just be able to enter it in! 🙂
Tina, I believe that’s just how she calculated the Nutrition Info. I didn’t think we’d be able to access the recipe’s nutrition stats on MFP.
Precisely. Thanks Laura 🙂
Hi Emily- how much pesto did this make? I’d like to use pesto I made already and froze.
Made these tonight and they were really good!!
Can I freeze them after I Cook them?
Hi Ellie, I’ve never personally frozen them but I’ve had lots of readers say the wonton cups freeze just great 🙂
Yum! Made these today with the leftover egg roll wraps from the Cheeseburger Egg Rolls (another YUM!) I made yesterday. Having tried many of the delicious “cup cakes”, I think I like the egg roll wraps better because I’m planning on freezing leftovers for lunches and I think they will pack better this way. People have asked how well these and the Cheeseburger Egg Rolls freeze, so I’ll keep you posted. Thank you for another fantastic recipe! Who knew “diet food” could taste so good!
UPDATE: Made as egg rolls, these freeze fantastic. I take one out in the morning, leave it in the fridge at work until lunchtime, then microwave about 45 seconds. I found any longer and they bust open.
About how much pesto sauce does the recipe make? I would like to use some I already have on hand.