Good gracious, these pizza pockets are delicious. Flaky, buttery puff pastry pockets stuffed with hot, gooey cheese, spicy pepperoni, fresh mushrooms and seasoned pizza sauce – what could be better? The best part is that though these taste like the savory indulgence of my dreams, they’re only 130 calories or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints each on all three myWW color plans. A couple of these make a great main course for lunch or dinner when served with a salad, or you could definitely serve them as finger food at a party or gathering. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
I love pepperoni and mushrooms, but you could easily mix it up and use your favorite combination of pizza toppings instead. These pizza pockets could easily be made vegetarian by replacing the pepperoni with other veggies or faux meat products of your choice. If you’re looking to make these ahead and freeze them for later use, I would suggest freezing them after stuffing the pastry squares and making them into sealed triangles. When you’re ready to bake them you can set them out for a few minutes, do the egg wash and then bake (you may need to add a few minutes to the cook time to ensure the filling is heated through).
If you’re looking for more lightened up ways to get more pizza in your life, try my Pizza Logs, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Pizza Cups, or any of the other crave-worthy recipes in my Pizza recipe category!
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted per package instructions (such as Pepperidge Farms)
- ¼ cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- 16 turkey pepperoni slices, diced
- ¼ cup diced white mushrooms
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 egg*
- 1 tablespoon water
- On a clean, dry surface sprinkle a small amount of flour to prevent sticking and lay down your sheet of defrosted puff pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll the pastry into a 12”x12” square of even thickness. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 9 even squares (3 rows of 3).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Mozzarella, diced pepperoni, mushrooms, pizza sauce and ¼ teaspoon of the Italian seasoning and stir until well combined. Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into the center of each pastry square (should use all the filling) and spread it a bit diagonally toward two opposite corners. Get a small dish of water and lightly spread a bit of water around the edges of a square. Fold one corner over diagonally to meet its opposite corner and form a triangle. Press the edges of the pastry together to seal the filling inside. Repeat with each pastry square. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the triangles to the sheet.
- Combine the egg and a tablespoon of water in a bowl and whisk together to combine. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash over top of each pastry triangle. Discard leftover egg wash. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning over the tops of the triangles.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to ensure the pastry is still a bit chilled (this makes it puff better). Transfer the sheet to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until pastry is golden.
4 per pocket or 2 pockets for 7 PP (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com) *Since you definitely won’t use all of the egg wash I calculated the nutrition information and Weight Watchers points using the values for ½ an egg.