Pizza Wonton Cups
I can’t believe it has taken me so long to bring you a recipe for Pizza Wonton Cups, but I promise these are worth the wait! Over the years I’ve made a ton of savory wonton cupcake varieties, and these pizza ones are truly one of my favorites. With spicy sausage and pepperoni, along with customizable fruit or vegetable topping of your choice, I think you’ll find these are full of flavor. Mr. Bites and I love sweet pineapple with spicy pizza flavors, so we use pineapple in this recipe, but I know that’s a controversial pizza topping so feel free to use mushrooms, peppers, or whatever topping you prefer. I really do urge you to try pineapple in these sometime though, because the sweet and spicy combo is everything.
Each of these Pizza Wonton Cups is just 135 calories or 3 SmartPoints on the myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans, so you can easily decide the perfect portion for you. They’re family friendly and the leftovers are perfect for lunches. You could even make these as finger foods for a party, book club or sporting event!
Looking for more ways to use wonton wrappers? I’ve got you covered! Check out my recipes for Chicken Parmesan Wonton Cupcakes, Mini Cinnamon Apple Tarts, Taco Cupcakes, French Dip Cupcakes, Berries and Cream Cinnamon Dessert Cups, Buffalo Chicken Cupcakes, Cheeseburger Cupcakes, Lasagna Cupcakes and many more!
Pizza Wonton Cups
- ¾ lb uncooked hot Italian poultry sausage, casings removed if present (I used Wegmans poultry sausage patties, you can use chicken or turkey sausage)
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, *OR* mushrooms, bell peppers, or whatever other fruit/veggies you like on your pizza!
- 2 oz chopped or mini turkey pepperoni, divided
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 4 oz 2% shredded Mozzarella
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 12 cups in a standard muffin/cupcake tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the sausage in a medium skillet and bring to medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon into smaller pieces, until sausage is cooked through. *If using a vegetable that needs to be cooked (mushrooms, peppers, etc)*, add those to the sausage and continue to cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are softened. If you’re using pineapple you don’t need to cook it, you can just add it in the next step.
- Transfer the cooked sausage and the cooked vegetables or chopped pineapple to a mixing bowl. Add most of the chopped pepperoni (reserve some to sprinkle on top), the pizza sauce and the Italian seasoning and stir together to combine.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the sausage mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half of the shredded mozzarella evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining sausage mixture and shredded mozzarella. Sprinkle the reserved pepperoni on top of the completed cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the wontons are golden brown and the contents are heated through. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the tin.
3 per cupcake (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Nutrition Information per cupcake (with pineapple): 135 calories, 12 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 6 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)