This hearty Lasagna Soup is an easy way to get all the lasagna flavor you love in about 30 minutes! I love lasagna, but it’s pretty time consuming to make, so it’s not something I cook often. This Lasagna Soup, however, is full of saucy, meaty, pasta goodness and it quick enough to make for a weeknight dinner! It’s like comfort in a bowl, and I found a serving to be super filling. You can serve this soup on its own or paired with a side salad or my Easy Garlic Knots, and the leftovers are perfect for lunches. I can’t get over how tasty and satisfying this soup is for just 262 calories, or 5 Green 5 Blue or 3 Purple WW (Weight Watchers) SmartPoints per 1 & 1/3 cups serving! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
I decided to use a mixture of lean ground beef and ground turkey breast in this Lasagna Soup, because I wanted to lighten it up while still giving it a beefy flavor overall. I really think it succeeded! Between the mixed meats and the beef broth, I definitely got the flavor of traditional beefy lasagna. I also didn’t want to lose the flavor or texture of the ricotta, so I think it works really well as a topping, rather than being mixed into the soup. When I eat it, I just take a little ricotta on my spoon with each bite and it’s perfect!
Looking for more hearty, flavorful, lightened up soup recipes like this Lasagna Soup? Check out my Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Black Bean Soup, Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Beef Taco Soup, Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup, Zuppa Toscana, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, and many more in the Soup category of my recipe index!
- ½ lb uncooked 95% lean ground beef
- ½ lb uncooked 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup pasta sauce, (I used Mid's Traditional Meatless)
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into 1" pieces
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- Optional: a sprinkle of dried or fresh parsley to garnish
- Place a 5 QT Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat. Mush the ground beef and ground turkey together and add it to the pot. Allow the meat to cook, stirring and breaking it up into small chunks with a cooking spoon or spatula. When the meat has started to separate into chunks, add the chopped onion and stir together. Cook a few more minutes until the meat is cooked and the onions are softened.
- Add the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, basil, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper and stir together with the meat. Cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste and stir into the meat. Cook for another minute, stirring until the paste has softened.
- Add the broth, crushed tomatoes and pasta sauce to the pot and stir to combine. Add the broken lasagna noodles. Stir together and make sure the noodles are covered by the liquid. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to low to simmer. Simmer for 15-18 minutes until the pasta is cooked al dente or to your preference.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the half and half until fully combined.
- Serve each bowl topped with two tablespoons of ricotta cheese as a garnish and sprinkle on a little parsley if desired.
7 per (1 & 1/3 cups + garnish) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Inspired by Carlsbad Cravings, The Girl on Bloor, and I Am Baker