Southwest Steak Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
Y’all, this Southwest Steak Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing has everything. Spicy steak, creamy dressing, sweet corn, tart lime, crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, hearty black beans, crunchy tortilla strips – what more could you want? Perfect for lunch or satisfying enough for dinner, this could be your new go-to salad! Don’t be intimidated by making your own dressing, you literally just throw everything in a blender. This salad is easy to make and super filling for just 367 calories or 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints! I especially like this one because it looks and tastes like I ordered it from a restaurant, but I know it’s much healthier.
As with all salads, if you’re not using all four servings of this Southwest Steak Salad at once, make sure to build the servings you are using and then store the different salad components separately, undressed. Then when you’re ready to make additional servings everything will still be fresh and ready to go. The steak and corn/black bean topping can both be served hot or cold on this salad, so do whichever suits your preferences!
For more light and tasty salad recipes, check out my Pepperoni Pizza Salad, Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, Roasted Beet Salad, Broccoli Salad, Avocado Bacon Corn Panzanella Salad, Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad, Antipasto Salad, Harvest Apple Salad, Doritos Taco Salad, Greek Orzo Pasta Salad, Chicken Souvlaki Salad and many more in the salad section of my recipe index!
Southwest Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
Yield: 4 servings
For the Dressing:
- ½ of a ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice (I sometimes use more than this because I love lime, feel free to increase to taste)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 lb raw lean, trimmed flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 5 teaspoons southwest seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- ½ cup chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 of a lime
- 12 cups lettuce, torn (I used green leaf lettuce)
- 8 tablespoons tortilla strips
- In a blender (or a cup if using an immersion blender), combine the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place the steak strips into a gallon zip-top bag and add the southwest seasoning. Seal the bag and shake/turn until the steak is coated with the seasoning.
- Bring one tablespoon of oil to medium heat in a large skillet. Add the seasoned steak strips and stir to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring and flipping occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the steak is cooked to taste. Remove the steak to a side plate.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet and keep over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the corn and black beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and stir. Cook for another minute and then remove from heat. Squeeze the fresh lime wedge over the contents of the skillet.
- *To build each salad, place 3 cups of lettuce into a bowl and top with ¼ of the steak (for me this was 3.75 oz cooked), 1/3 cup of the corn and bean mixture and two tablespoons of tortilla strips. Toss in ¼ of the dressing (about ¼ cup) and serve.
*Build each salad to serve! If you’re only serving one or two salads, dress the ones you’re serving and store the leftover components separately and the remaining dressing in an airtight container in the fridge.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
7 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving had 8 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
367 calories, 20 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 18 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 30 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original