Sausage Ricotta Pasta
This Sausage Ricotta Pasta is easy, fun and perfect for the season! I made this dish because my husband loves ricotta cheese and I wanted to make him something he’d like for dinners while I was out of town last week. It worked! He thought it was great. Spicy sausage, sweet peas, healthy spinach, bright lemon, creamy ricotta and hearty pasta make for a super satisfying meal. Plus this Sausage Ricotta Pasta comes together easily and is only 297 calories or 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving!
Looking for more lightened up pasta options? Check out the pasta section of my recipe index for favorites like Beef Stroganoff, Beefy American Goulash, Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken Pasta, Beef and Sausage Manicotti, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti Pie, Sausage Tortellini Skillet, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Spicy Sausage Pasta and many more!
Sausage Ricotta Pasta
Yield: 8 (1 1/4 cups) servings
- 12 oz uncooked pasta (I used orecchiette)
- 1 ½ lbs uncooked hot Italian poultry sausage, removed from casings if present (I used Wegmans poultry sausage, turkey or chicken sausage will work fine)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, bring a large walled skillet or saute pan over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is cooked through and broken into small/bite-sized pieces. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the spinach, peas, basil and pepper and stir until combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted and the peas are warm. Add the cooked pasta from step one and stir together. Add the lemon juice and ricotta cheese and stir until well combined.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
7 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving has 8 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (PP calculated using a WW PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per (1 ¼ cup) serving:
297 calories, 38 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original