Roasted Delicata Squash
This Roasted Delicata Squash is an easy, comforting side dish for fall and winter. I love squash, but it can be such a pain to work with. I actually bent my last vegetable peeler beyond repair trying to peel a particularly tough butternut squash, so Delicata squash is a great find. The skin is thin and edible so there’s no need to peel, and unlike many other squash it cuts very easily. Plus it comes in a smaller size (mine are usually around 1 ¼ pounds each), so it’s super easy to swiftly chop it up and use it in a meal.
A lot of people compare the taste of Delicata squash to sweet potatoes, which I think is sort of true (they’re different, but I definitely taste the similarities) so Roasted Delicata Squash is a little similar in flavor to sweet potato fries. You can season it all different ways but I usually just add salt, pepper and a little sprinkle of cinnamon. This is a great side dish for a weeknight or even a healthy afternoon snack. This squash would also be great in an autumn salad – feel free to get creative! A quarter of the recipe is just 78 calories or ONE SmartPoints (that’s right, just 1 SP) on the Green, Blue and Purple myWW plans, making it a great healthy addition to any meal.
Looking for more tasty lightened up side dishes? Try my Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Hummus Veggie Tots, Garlic Roasted Green Beans, Loaded Cauliflower Bake, Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Parmesan Orzo, Cheesy Broccoli Bake, Garlic Thyme Roasted Carrots, Easy Garlic Knots, Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad, Roasted Smashed Garlic Potatoes, Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks, Cheddar Bay Pull Apart Muffins, Cheddar Broccoli Orzo, Broccoli Salad, Tomato Cobbler and many more in the Side Dishes category of my recipe index!
Roasted Delicata Squash
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (1-1 ½ lb) Delicata squash, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A sprinkling of cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise to get two long halves. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard. Cut each squash half into ½” thick half-moon shaped slices.
- Place the squash slices into a bowl and drizzle with the oil. Stir until well coated. Transfer the squash slices to the prepared baking sheet, leaving space in between them. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cinnamon or desired seasonings. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each slice to the other side. Sprinkle again with salt, pepper and cinnamon and return to the oven. Bake for another 10-12 minutes until the squash is tender. Serve warm.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/4th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 1 SmartPoints/ Blue: 1 SmartPoints/ Purple: 1 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per (1/4 of the recipe) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per (1/4 of the recipe) serving:
78 calories, 12 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 1 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)