Bubble Up Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
This Bubble Up Chili Cheese Dog Casserole is a guilt-free guilty pleasure the whole family will love! I know you all love my bubble up casseroles (I have everything from a pizza flavored one, to chicken alfredo, to enchilada to pot pie and more!) and I thought it would be really fun and tasty to make one using the craveable flavors of a chili cheese dog. This casserole has a hearty base of turkey chili with beans along with hot dogs, melted cheddar cheese and the bubbling up of biscuits throughout. My husband ate this for several meals in a row! Better still, each serving of this Bubble Up Chili Cheese Dog Casserole is just 321 calories or 7 Green, 5 Blue or 5 Purple myWW SmartPoints!
Just to answer a question I’ve received a few times on my bubble up casseroles since Weight Watchers’ transition to Freestyle, I haven’t tried making these with 2-ingredient dough yet (in place of the biscuit dough). The Wegmans brand biscuits I use are super easy and low in calories/points (I think the Pillsbury ones might be slightly more?) so I find them really convenient in these dishes. I have, however, heard from a few readers who tried making bubble ups using 2-ingredient dough (equal parts plain, nonfat Greek yogurt and self-rising flour) and said they were a success, so feel free to give it a try and report back with your results!
Looking for more lightened up comfort food casseroles? Check out my Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Chickpea Bake, Meat and Potatoes Bake, Spinach and Chicken Phyllo Bake, Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake, Cottage Pie, One-Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Chili Cornbread Bake, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole, Eggplant Parmesan Casserole, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole and many more in the Casseroles section of my recipe index!
Bubble Up Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb uncooked 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 Hebrew National 97% fat free beef franks, sliced or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned kidney beans
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I use Wegmans brand, but Pillsbury also makes some – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces. May affect the points/nutrition.)
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mist a large saute pan with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the ground turkey and use a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks. When the turkey is breaking up and almost browned, add the onions, garlic and hot dog pieces and stir together. Continue to cook another few minutes until the turkey is browned and onions are softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne to the turkey mixture and stir together until well combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the biscuit dough pieces and transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly across the top of the casserole. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until hot and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and cut into 6 servings.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1/6th of the recipe) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 7 SmartPoints/ Blue: 5 SmartPoints/ Purple: 5 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per serving:
321 calories, 36 g carbs, 7 g sugars, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 33 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original