Chicken Divan is a dish my mom made often when I was growing up, so to me it will definitely always be a comfort food classic. If you haven’t had it before, it’s a very simple and tasty casserole made with chicken, broccoli, cream of chicken soup, mayo, and in my mom’s version, curry powder and lemon juice. The dish is topped with cheddar cheese and crunchy breadcrumbs, and can be served on it’s own or over rice, which is how my mom usually serves it. I tried out her recipe using lighter ingredients and it still had all the comforting, nostalgic, savory flavor I remember from my childhood. The curry powder really makes the sauce shine – don’t skip it! I always just use the McCormick version which should easily be found at most grocery stores. One hearty chicken breast with broccoli, smothered in sauce is just 403 calories or 6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints! Add these ingredients to your shopping list now, this will likely be a recipe you’ll want to add to your regular rotation.
Looking for more lightened up comfort food casseroles? Check out my Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Chickpea Bake, Meat and Potatoes Bake, Spinach and Chicken Phyllo Bake, Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake, Cottage Pie, One-Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Chili Cornbread Bake, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole, Eggplant Parmesan Casserole, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole and many more in the Casseroles section of my recipe index!
Yield: 6 servings
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 6 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (on the thinner side) – total of 36 oz
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Hellmann’s Low Fat Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 oz 50% less fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot)
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and cover the bowl with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high until lightly tender. Spread the broccoli evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lightly mist a large skillet with cooking spray and bring over medium-high heat. Arrange the chicken cutlets into a single layer in the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes until the bottom is seared golden. Flip the cutlets and sear for another 2 minutes until the other side is golden as well. Do not worry if the chicken is not cooked through, you’re just searing the outside here, it will cook in the oven. Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the broccoli in the casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, curry powder and lemon juice until well combined. Spread the sauce evenly across the top of the other ingredients in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and follow with the bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbly.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
10 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per serving:
403 calories, 25 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 12 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 50 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
lightly adapted from my mom 🙂